Transporting fish.

youngy_11

Hi

I am thinking about buying a setup from canberra that has 10 largish cichlids and 4 BN. What would be the best way to transport the fish safely?

I was going to use an eski with a battery operated air pump. Is this a good option to use?

thanks youngy

An esky and air pump would be fine but you could also use large bags that are tied properly and then packed into foam boxes. I have used plastic buckets that I have drilled, fed in air hose tubing and an air stone. I then hook up my battery operated air pump with a couple of T fittings so I can run a couple of buckets a once.

Providing some additional in formation like the type of cichlid and how big are they will aid people giving better advice.

Gerard

You can transport them safely in a large plastic esky, don't worry about the air pump and the motion of the car will help move the water (exchanging oxygen) unless you plan to be static for a while. If the fish are large I'ld be nervous about the bag option unless you know what your doing. Either way add some prime to the water before you add the fish.

OK thanks ged. Well the guy doesn't actually know what fish they are but i know that there are 2 Venustus, 4 BN and some other big silver cichlid. Plus 6 other smaller fish. I think a few peacocks and a e yellow and a red zebra.

I have a photo that is 1.4mb should i send it to you ged so you can help me tell what fish they are or can i post it here?

thanks

I have used large storage containers to transport 30cm pleco,calvus,Alto comps,julie maleri and its was about a 2 hour trip and they arrived safely. When i transport fish i like to cover the container/bags up even in the boot is okay. The storage containers are good too because they have lockable lids which wont come off during transport

HTH

Adam

Post the image here but remember that you will need to resize the image i.e. keep posted images small (under 640x480). If you can't post it or don't know how to by all means email me a copy and I will post it for you.

Gerard

(gdelanyATvtownDotcomDOTau)

I'd recommend Ged's bucket and pump idea.

I've successfully swapped fish with him a couple of times using this method and both times it worked very well.

Remember to use good batteries if you want them to last well. Ged, you'll notice you have Duracells in the pump now laugh.giftongue.gif

Thanks Baz! I normally buy a set of ordinary batteries and just replace them . I agree with Baz though a decent battery is better for peace of mind.

Ged ill send the pic to ya im not too sure if its too big or what not. The pic's program is microsoft office document imaging and im no good with it.

You guys have been talking about "prime" is it just a chemical?

thanks youngy

You can transport them safely in a large plastic esky, don't worry about the air pump and the motion of the car will help move the water (exchanging oxygen) unless you plan to be static for a while. If the fish are large I'ld be nervous about the bag option unless you know what your doing. Either way add some prime to the water before you add the fish.

i agree with DWD

Thanks Empire, lugged a lot of fish from Nowra to Sydney and back and (touch wood) havent lost one yet. The bucket idea of Geds is good but I prefer the insulating quality of a plastic .......... (insert preferred brand here) esky, plus more room and more water. smile.gif

hey. i transported 12 cuckoo catfish yesterday in two bags. over a 4 hour trip, none died. i used large bags and but them in a stirofome box.

Hi,

Last year I did the opposite run (Wollongong to Canberra) from the Wollongong mega Auction. We brought back about 6 bags and lost none in the trip. We came back at night with the fish potentially could have been in bags for up to 12 hours from start to finish. All we did was open the bags when we bought them and re-sealed the bag, packed them into a polystrene box and sealed it with tape. Also ensure that there is no extra space in the box by adding bags full of extra tank water or towels so they don't move. We also had some prime handy (and added a couple of drops where necessary), it should be OK. We also reguarily bring fish back from Sydney using the same methods with a high level of success. They arrive cold but alive thumb.gif

Just make sure that you do spend a good couple of hours to settle them in to the new tank, by using the drip method described a couple of posts ago. Just make sure that you have big bags and not too much water what you need is air not water (as described on the NSWSC home page). But if you can use air operated pumps and a sealed container that is good too.

cheers

Rosco

Ummm, no, if you use a sealed container and pump air into it, it will explode blink.gif

Come on guys.  Personally I think bags are the best option.  Fish get transported internationally in bags packed into styro boxes - what makes you think anythin more spectacular is needed for a trip up the road?

Fish live fine in bags upward of 16 hours on auction days sitting in open top boxes in a cold room.  They are tougher little buggers than most people give them credit for smile.gif

Fish live fine in bags upward of 16 hours on auction days sitting in open top boxes in a cold room.  They are tougher little buggers than most people give them credit for smile.gif

Just a quick word of warning to add to ducksta comments, when transporting fish long distance, make sure you dont drop them stright into a warm tank, as you might give them a temperature shock if the bags they travelled in have cooled down a bit.

Floating the bags on the surface for a while will help in this regard.

thumb.gif - you probably allready knew this wink2.gif

sorry willy, i disagree with you here. after major auctions (and if i ever am unlucky enough to have fish get really cold) I rush my fish into the water to get them out of the freezing water in bags. temperature shock is an issue when going colder, but I havent seen a fish yet that has gone into shock when going from cold to warm water. and sometimes I am talking as much as ten degrees different.

You probably have more experience transporting fish from auctions Gav, but we might have to agree to disagree on this point.

I personally am of the opinion that temperature should be brought back up more slowly. (over an hour or two). A ten degree jump is huge!

thanks for your input guys. But i have decided than im going to borrow a foam box from LFS and drill a hole in the top of it to run a battery air pump. Iv'e got some prime and i will tell the owners of the fish to purge them for 2 days prior.

thanks again thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Archived