Six Foot Tank Bridge Width and Number?

CThompson

For those of you with a six foot tank, could you please let me know how wide the bridge is, and if there are one or two bridges. I expect the bridges to be two in number, so I would really like to know what width they are please.

Craig

Hi Craig,

Yes you are right...definately 2 bridges (every two feet). We use 100mm bridges but I have also seen them done in 80mm. Make then the same thickness as the tank glass. This site may help.

Andrea smile.gif

PS> EDIT...just reading the below answers, are we thiking of the same thing? By bridge, I thought you meant strap?? Is this an east v west lingo difference dntknw.gif

One thing no one has asked yet is the width/height of the tank - as surely this has a fair bit to do with what size strap is required.

At work, we use 2 x 100mm straps for 18" wide 6' tanks and 2 x 150mm straps in 2' wide 6' tanks - the glass used is the same thickness as the sides of the tank.

I am sure that we would use thicker straps, however, if we were making a 6'x4'x2'.....

Hope that helps

Cheers

Pacco

The tank height is intended to be 2.5' (a bit over at 785mm)

I was thinking of using two bridges with a width of 284mm (about 11"). That will leave me with three openings of 610mm (2').

I was also thinking of using 15mm glass, which will have a bearing on the bridges. Just waiting on the cost of the glass to make a decision between 15 mm and 12mm.

Craig

Two bridges @ 11" and 3 openings @ 2' => 7'10".

You never said what size tank you were building, but it looks like an 8 ftr. You mention that the height is likely to be 2'6", what width?

What's going in?

Cheers,

15mm glass will cost a LOT more than 12mm.... (we pay 3.5 times the price of 12mm per square metre for 15mm glass).

Would probably help if you just post all the dimensions of the tank and get recommendations from that.

Cheers

Pacco

Doh!

Thanks for pointing that out, didn’t see the forest for the trees. My maths is not the best, but it’s not that bad blush.gif .

The tank is to be six foot, (1830mm) by 2 foot (610) by 2.5 foot (760mm).

I’m aware that 15mm glass is more expensive, I’m checking out some prices and will compare it against 12mm. blink.gif

Craig

If I was looking at doing it more cheaply, I would go a 15mm base, and the rest of 12mm. If I ever get a quote back for the glass at 15mm, I can make a decision. I’ll have to call the guy again...

I’ll be looking at making it myself, so at the end of the day, a 12mm tank made by a professional (?), may have a similar price to a 15mm made by myself?

I’ll find out.

Unless your getting your 15mm glass below wholesale, I would be surprised if the cost of your 15mm is even close to the ballpark of the pro made tank in 12mm.

My brother and I contemplated making tanks to fill out his 'fishroom' and eventually my fishroom later on. He gets glass at trade-rates being a builder and ordering it by the truckload, and we decided with the amount of stuffing about you go through, for the extra few bucks it is easier to just get professionally built tanks with a warranty woot.gif

I take your point Ducksta, but with my recent experience, I’m not that fussed with any warranty issues. I learned in this industry, the warranty isn’t worth the paper, it’s not written on.

From what you say, it sounds like I’ll be doing it out of 12mm though….

Thanks,

Craig

smile.gif

the warranty isn’t worth the paper, it’s not written on

LOL.gif

I think it is well worth the effort for the sake of accomplishing it, and saying you built a nice solid tank, but for saving money, I think there must be better ways out there. Tank builders (esp. in Sydney!) are doing it so cheap now I can't believe any of them are prepared to still do it.

At work we have always made 6x2x30s from 12mm all round, 1.5mm silicone gap, 40mm straps front and back joined by 2 equally spaced 150mm straps - never had a problem.

Off the top of my head I think 15mm float glass costs us (wholesale) more than $200+GST per square metre more than 12mm float. 12mm is the thickest "economical" glass for aquariums.

You should also probably consider that the professional will have a tank making bench, and while you can build a tank easily enough on the floor with a few braces you might not end up with the tank being as square.

I'm not sure whether you wanted holes drilled in it - but if not that is a fairly "standard" size tank that I am sure at least a few stores would have in stock - at least then you can see if its up to scratch before putting any dollars down.

Cheers

Pacco

You picked me Ducksta, as I’m also considering making my own stand, it would be nice to say “I built that” with the tank as well.

Pacco,

Thanks for your comments. They are spoken with authority, and are taken on board. If I were to make this tank, I would do it on my wooden lounge room floor (parquetry laid on concrete so there is no flex).

Tell me Pacco, you say you leave a 1.5mm gap, how do you organise something so fine, and have it even? Is it just a matter of cutting the glass to the correct size, then making sure everything is square when finished, which can only leave a gap of 1.5mm?

If your bridges/strapping is 150mm, by two bridges, that will leave three openings of 510mm each. Have you found that a too large size lid to handle? Would its usability be different (better/worse) if they were sliding lids do you think?

Craig

Craig those lids are less than a 2' tank... It depends entirely on whether you made 1,2 or 3 lid pieces per gap I imagine. If it is going to be display tank (ie. set up and left well alone) I would consider making the lids one piece over 2 gaps, and the other one having a small area at the front just for feeding, made as an acrylic lid, so its easy to manouvre, and hard to break.

Craig,

We order the glass so that there should be a 1.5mm gap (there is always going to be a chance of a slight variance any time you buy glass though). Generally the glass is dry fit on the bench to see which way around the bits fit best before being assembled - then the gaps are simply made as even as possible.

For that size we order:

2 x 1830 x 760

2 x 583 x 760

1 x 1803 x 583

2 x 1790 x 40

2 x 575 x 150

We also do put some thin 6mm straps on the sides of the main straps and on either end of the tank (our standard covers are in two pieces).

The main difference in making it on a bench is that they generally are on a slight angle which makes putting everything together a bit easier as it tends to stay in place.

I personnally don't build the tanks at work - and in fact only recently knocked up the first tanks I have ever made on the floor at home. Can't say I am that proud of the finish - but they aren't display tanks and I wasn't really too fussed what they look like as long as they held water. However, if I was getting a display tank done for myself I would definately get a pro to do it.

Cheers

Pacco

Pacco,

St George Aquariums over here showed me once their way of gluing tanks together. Basically, they lay the bottom piece down, then either the front or the back, and one end laid flat on the ground in position so that if stood up, without adjusting position, the glass will be in the correct place. So, laying on the ground with the bottom in place, with say the back glass and the left end, they put the silicon into place on the panels (while laid flat), then left them up in place vertically, and the silicon will hold the pieces together well enough to go to the next pane of glass (myself I would like some one to hold those two pieces while I work on the next panel).

I understand you don’t build the tanks, but you mention you (your company) “dry fit” them to make sure you get the best fit for the cuts. How do you hold them in place if you dry fit them? Do you just tape them together (that white tape one uses when masking up for painting)? If you do it this way, once you’ve gone to all this trouble, do you just fill the gaps up wit glue, and leave to dry?

I have done major tank repairs (three panels one tank) in the past, and my finish was as good as the original job blush.gif .

Ducksta, you’re right, it’s only a 2’ tank lid size, puts it into perspective – thanks.

Craig

Archived