Sump Designs please

catcher

go-lo sells the scourers for $1 for a packet of 9 thumbup.gif i bought 10 bags of them yesterday LOL.gif

ok nice i will have to get some. Aprox how big is each scourer.

thanks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep mine came from there too at the same price.

Each one is similar in size to a tennis ball, only flatter.

I find the gutter guard does a pretty good job as biomedia, you can actually see the biofilm on it now. it has been in this filter for about 6 months now, and have never had any dramas. there is 46 fish (5-13cm) in the 8x2x2 tank.and get fed a fair bit aswell.

Well, you've sold me clap.gif . I've never really looked at gutterguard until tonight. Remarkably similar to bio balls, i.e., material wise. Whole lot cheaper, too. Looking at it tonight, if one could unravel it & cut it into strips & layer them, that is ALOT of surface area.

Having said that, trofius' setup seems to be working just fine.

A very helpful thread e/one  Just a quick question is the overflow the only way of getting your water to the sump?  or are there other methods of doing this?

Nope. If your tank is undrilled, you have the option of using syphons. You can either buy them or there are plenty of DIY examples on the net. Just do a Google search.

Best regards,

Troy.

Barf

there are a few ways of getting water to the sump,

an overflow is the easiest and probably the most expansive way, those things are dammed expensive....unless you make it yourself.

a weir is probably the best way, a hole in the bottom of the tank or and have glass or a stand pipe going up to the level you would like the water to stay at. Some one will post a pic for sure, or do a search on google

I have holes drilled in the back of my tanks with fittings that flow down to the sump, if the holes are at the top they need to be bigger to allow enough water to flow through because of the relatively low pressure at the top.

Yellow ....No dramas.

I think the scourers may have more Surafce area but not sure they are very fine.

i think that once you got too fine there would not be enough area to establish a biofilm. In sewage treatment plants, that utilise a trickle filter they generally use rocks about 10cm round , and pump air up through it all, so it does not go anaerobic,, but anyways the bigger rocks with the big flat areas allow a biofilm that is about 2-3mm thick and has its own little ecosystem on it, containing protozoans, bacteria, algae funguses, and wee little bugs. once it gets too thick and no longer usefull it falls of and gets replaced.

My appologies as I don't want to take over this thread, but as it was sump related I thought it might appropriate. blush.gif

What happens when the power goes out and your pump stops pumping (eg. in the syphon situation) how do you prevent water from continuing through the syphon (My guess is you still need some kind of o/flow situation so it can only syphon so far) confused.gif

Archived