Sump Designs please

catcher

Hi all,

I want to make a new sump for my 6x2x2. So I'd like any suggestions on go sites to go to or home made designs that are effective. I currently have a double end sump thats quite old and has leaked once already but currently ok after repairs, so I want to replace with a regular design type and make it myself. Has anyone used those plastic storage bins as one? I can see how a large one with a smaller one inside to hold the matrix might work, I am thinking of making it in glass but am open to all suggestions and opinions please.

cheers

glenn

p.s. a double ender is one that has matrix in a compartment at both ends and the water pickup in the middle. wink2.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://users.tpg.com.au/ajhinds/fish/sump/sump.htm

here's my dodgy setup - I'm too lazy with the finer filter material but it still works brilliantly

Thanks Ash,

I do remember your design being posted ages ago. Gives me something to think about.

cheers

glenn

I have 2 different types of sumps/filters here...

user posted image

This one uses baffles to force the water through different types of media. It's quiet(ish) because it doesn't have any falling/trickling water in it.

I bough the tank and then siliconed the baffles in myself, which wasn't as hard as I thought it might be.

This sump sits on an old waterbed heat pad which does a great job thumb.gif

user posted image

This one is a more traditional trickle-style filter, but with a twist. I've made it inside a 2x2x2 and I run the water level quite high in it. This means that by simply draining and refilling my sump I am doing a 200L water change on my rack of tanks, and I do not need to drain water from each individual tank.

This one was simple to make. I just had to divide off a section to hold the media and some egg crate at the bottom holds the media up. I've made a drip tray instead of a spinning arm simply because it was cheaper and I prefer to have less moving (and breaking) parts if possible.

This sump has 2 stainless steel heaters in it, as it was the wrong shape to sit on a heat pad.

You're welcome to come for a drive and check them both out in person if you like, they are hard to photograph sorry due to space limits LOL.gif

The 'baffle' design that Baz uses in the 1st pic is IMO one of the best. You can add any media you wish including amagon etc in emergencies, charcoal to remove tannins, but best of all if you have several passes of sintered glass (matrix) you will achieve a complete nitrogen cycle and reduce the frequency of water changes (in lightly stocked tanks you may need as little as 2 per month) and every drop of water must pass through the medium, unlike bio towers. The baffle sump is cheaper than a biotower as well. They are also simple, as there are no mechanicals required (apart from the pump) so no arms to clog, drip filters blocking etc. and like Baz, if you measure your standpipes correctly you can drain 10-20% of the tanks volume by cutting off the return flow and emptying the sump, making it unnecessary to change the water in individual tanks. thumbup.gif

I have 2 different types of sumps/filters here...

user posted image

This one uses baffles to force the water through different types of media. It's quiet(ish) because it doesn't have any falling/trickling water in it.

I bough the tank and then siliconed the baffles in myself, which wasn't as hard as I thought it might be.

This sump sits on an old waterbed heat pad which does a great job  thumb.gif

user posted image

This one is a more traditional trickle-style filter, but with a twist. I've made it inside a 2x2x2 and I run the water level quite high in it. This means that by simply draining and refilling my sump I am doing a 200L water change on my rack of tanks, and I do not need to drain water from each individual tank.

This one was simple to make. I just had to divide off a section to hold the media and some egg crate at the bottom holds the media up. I've made a drip tray instead of a spinning arm simply because it was cheaper and I prefer to have less moving (and breaking) parts if possible.

This sump has 2 stainless steel heaters in it, as it was the wrong shape to sit on a heat pad.

You're welcome to come for a drive and check them both out in person if you like, they are hard to photograph sorry due to space limits  LOL.gif

BaZ,

Are they scourer pads?

I've never liked spinners either, I currently let my water dump onto some Koi mat then it runs through to 50mm pond sponge, it saturates and distributes the water evenly then run it through the fine wadding before the matrix.

cheers

glenn

Yep scourer pads from one of those dodgy discount shops blush.gif

My wife sourced them for me, I think she was paying $1 for a pack of 9.

Yep scourer pads from one of those dodgy discount shops  blush.gif

My wife sourced them for me, I think she was paying $1 for a pack of 9.

Yep they are from Go-lo. I have found them even down here and I am buying them up ATM. I think they were $2 for 9 down here, maybe I pushed the price up due to supply and demand LOL.gif . I am filling a a 2x18x17 chamber in my sump. So far I have purchased 90 I am heading back for more, I am getting some funny looks from the girls behind the counter confused.giflaugh.gif

cheers

Rosco

I avoided those funny looks, my wife received them all LOL.gif

She rang me to tell me what she had found, and I asked her to grab 15 packs smile.gif

I avoided those funny looks, my wife received them all  LOL.gif

She rang me to tell me what she had found, and I asked her to grab 15 packs smile.gif

G'day BaZ,

Here's a question from left field, do you think matrix would do a better job than the scourers in a wet/dry situation or is it much of a muchness?

glenn

I've never used matrix sorry. I've heard wonderful things about it from a few who use it, but I have never found a need for it.

My water is clean, my fish are happy and breeding, and my maintenance levels are very low. I don't see the need to change anything I am doing smile.gif

I've never used matrix sorry. I've heard wonderful things about it from a few who use it, but I have never found a need for it.

My water is clean, my fish are happy and breeding, and my maintenance levels are very low. I don't see the need to change anything I am doing  smile.gif

Thanks BaZ,

I'm the other way round, I've used matrix in my sumps, but it is very expensive and if an alternative is just as good and does the job I'm up for it.

cheers

glenn

I think it all comes down to how much room you have. My understanding of Matrix is that it is just another type of media, but it has a very high surface area due to it being quite porous.

From memory you only need to use 1L of matrix to every 300-400L of water, right?

Obviously the surface area of these scourers is nowhere near that offered by Matrix, so you just need to allow more room for media. If I needed to downsize my filter for some reason I'd be tempted to use Matrix but that's the only reason I'd bother.

I have Seachem pond matrix in all my filters it seems to work very well.  I also put bioball all the way around it. It is a bit to much but I got it all cheap.

user posted image

Hi Nigel,

How have you got the matrix? Bagged in the center?

Um, more info on that tiger?

Also, is there a little fish stuck in that bioball chamber nigel?

I have just gotten a 4x8ft sheet of 1/2" acrylic sheet and am going to manufacture a sump. This post has been great in giving me ideas.

All previous pics and info I have seen have been for salt water, and they utilise a reefagum section (where the little critters that would otherwise be eaten hang out).

the info I have gotten comes from:

www.melevsreef.com/

(just for your info, I am building the weir boxes, and am thinking of selling some if anyone is interested)

You can build a refugium & put plants in it for an extra kick of de-nitrification.

If you don't mind giving in some tank space for the sump I used the following design:

http://www.sarcanthinae.com/custom_bench_tank/detail

You can retrofit it later. The pump is in the bottom of the sump and I use some plastic sheeting at the top to feed the drip tray from the skimmer.

Archived