Importing from Lake Malawi (maybe)

Nigel

I have entered into negotiations with Stuart Grant and would like to know what people would be interested in. So that I can pass this information on to Stuart.

As everyone knows the species we can bring is limited and the last shipment I did bring in from Malawi ( it was not from Stuart ) was hard to sell. So if I can get some idea it will help me to decide if its worth the effort.

I guess what I am asking is am I wasting my time and Stuart's. Any feed back would be appreciated.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pseudotropheus cyaneus (Chinyamwezi island)

Pseudotropheus sp zebra long pelvic (Mdoka)

Copadichromis borleyi (Mara Rocks)

Copadichromis mbenjii (Mbenjii Island)

Copadichromis virginalis ( Gome )

Copadichromis virginalis gold ( Nkanda)

Better wipe my chin now as I am starting to drool cryblow.gif I don't think you are wasting your time Nigel , just try and get as much variety of species as you can in smaller numbers . I know that is probally easy said than done toohard.gif

Hi Nigel

Otopharynx sp. gold blue face Naknda Tanzania. back to nature p.99,

Cynotilapia sp. mbamba Lion cove page 125,

Metriaclima sp "black dorsal" Maleri island page 145

Metriaclima sp "membe deep" maingano, Likoma Island page 153

I have just checked the list, none of these are allowed

grrr.png

You know what annoys me?

The fact that there are hardly any Malawi species on our import list, but you can import just about any type of marine fish.

Surely marines pose as great a threat to our native fish as african cichlids? At least our ocean will support most species of imported marines straight away, whereas you throw an african cichlid into our generally low pH, cool rivers and not many will survive the first day.

Maybe they should allow 100% of Africans into all states except NT and QLD, where they could possibly take hold in a waterway (if the barras don't get them) laugh.gifthumb.gif

Hi Guys,

Cynotilapia sp. mbamba Lion cove

Pseudotropheus cyaneus (Chinyamwezi island)

Pseudotropheus sp zebra long pelvic (Mdoka)

Copadichromis borleyi (Mara Rocks)

Copadichromis mbenjii (Mbenjii Island)

Copadichromis virginalis ( Gome )

Copadichromis virginalis gold Nkanda

Metriaclima sp "black dorsal" Maleri island

Metriaclima sp "membe deep" maingano, Likoma Island

All but this one Otopharynx sp. gold blue face are already here in Oz.

You just have too know where too look.

HTH

Brett

Hi Nigel,

Wouldn't it be easier to list the fish that Stuart Grant has available and that also meets our import guidlines, this way you would get a better idea if people were interested in what is actually available instead of what they wish were available.

Just a thought on my part but may work out less hassle for you.

Cheers,

John.

Nigel

If you can get wild caught A. baenschi and A. sp. lwanda. I would be very interested

Josh

Here is the allowable imports list.

I myself am going to be keeping exlusively south american dwarves soon, so I myself dont have a malawi wish list. But lets not forget that we dont necessarily have to bring in new species (although it would be nice), it may also be worthwhile injecting some new blood into already existing species such as saulosi and dimi comps etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Lake Malawi Specimens on Allowable Import List:

Aulonocara spp.

Chilotilapia rhoadesii

Cyrtocara moorii

Melanochromis auratus

Melanochromis simulans

Iodotropheus sprengerae

To the best of my knowledge.

However are these fish similar to anything you would prefer. Fish can accidentally get mislabelled. LOL.gif

Nigel, if you can find out from Stuart if there have been any recent discoveries in regards to Aulonocara, I'd probably be interested (depending on how they look laugh.gif )

Also, is there only one colour variant of the rhoadesii?

Nigel, I think anything that comes in in small numbers will draw interest and sell well. I think the problem with the peacocks last time was that there was so many of each variety that the interested people snapped them up quickly and by the time the late comers started thinking about clean peacock lines there were millions of F1 fry available.

As you also experienced, they bred so easily that the fry became impossible to move, even at below what local bred fry of the species/varient were fetching only a couple of months before.

Mate, I am still using hueseri fry as feeders blink.gif

I was thinking the same thing the last one was a bit much. I might say not my idea but a good lesson learnt. I believe there is some new peacocks Andy so will try to get them as for Rhoadesii I tried to get them last time but no luck. They are not all that plentiful in the lake. Thanks for all the replys when I work it all out I will bring a shipment from Stuart and will see how it goes.

Nigel is there some way you can confirm numbers and prices and pre-sell some before the come into the country? That way you wont be stuck with as many as you were last time. Maybe like Ducky says, just bring them over in small numbers. I'm sure if Ducky was the only one who got hueseri last time he'd be selling the fry rather than using them as feeders blush.gif

I'd be interested in some new Aulonocara or maybe some wild kandeenses, depending on the numbers coming in and the price you were charging smile.gif

Nigel,

I'd be up for a trio of baenschi nkhomo reef, trio of lwanda, and a trio of chitande type north.

I also think you'd sell a lot better if you were prepared to send the fish interstate.

Cheers,

j.s

BaZ if memory serves me right, the Aulonocara ranged from $40-$50 a fish and had to be bought in certain ratio depending on type. ie. Mine were in trio's as that ratio meant Nigel wouldn't be stuck with 20 extra males when everyone like me wanted 5 girls to every male woot.gif I think another type had a 3:1 ratio, it was what came in.

I thought the price was fair and the ratio thing was no problem. I am not sure how many other people have even sold any fry from theirs, but when i grew the first couple of batches out and struggled to get $5 for each 4cm fish I gave up. I certainly haven't seen alot sold through the forums at any rate, and I can't imagine anyone having trouble spawning them, mine pump out fry and I don't even try to condition them blink.gif

Thats the problem with buying wild caught from Africa. They normaly sell them at 2 to 1 ratio the best you can get is 3 to 1. So unless you lose males in transit or in quarantine thats what you get. Like Ducky said I dont want to get stuck with males.

Archived