Bristlenose question

nissky

I hade an unfortunate accident on the weekend, one of my fry tanks developed a crack, and overnight lost about half of the water. I had fry in floating containers which were all fine, but i also had 20X2cm bristlenose in a hang on container and the water level dropped way below the bottom of this container.

The leak was relatively slow, so i think the bristlenose must have been out of water for at least an hour!!!

But i didnt loose a single one!! i popped them into another tank and they are all fine!

Now they either can breath out of water or perhaps because the container had thick shadecloth (DIY) that remained wet, this was enough to keep them alive??!!

Hi,

Years ago I emptied a 6' x 2' x 2' tank, bagged all the gravel up and tossed it outside. it was getting dark so I decided to clean it the next day. When I did start hosing through it, I found about 2 dozen b/noses which I had not seen the day before. They were all fine even though it had been about 20 hrs since they came out of the tank.

I'm not sure what anatomical device allows these guys to survive out of water (as long as they remain wet), but clearly they have some type of adaptation which other fish don't.

merjo

biggrin.gif

Hi nissky,

i have had my bristlenose out of water for about two and a half hours and it survived. i even had the log it was hiding in out side and hosing it down with straight tap water, with no probs

Josh and Evelyn

it seems they can do a LONG time with VERy little water. cleaned out a whole lot of plumbing pipe from one of my tanks early sunday morning. put it all in a bucket and left it there. i THOUGHT i had checked it all. anyway tuesday night, i look down in the bucket and see something brown. i think oh $&%$ a dead fish. i kiced the bucket and the fish moved. seems there was about 2 or 3mm of water in the bottom which had kept it alive for over 60 hours!!! so i ripped out the pipes, poured him into a tank and the bristlenose swam sedately over to a log. he was about 6-7cm long. tough as nuts! this morning i found him happily munching on zucchini. i was very amazed at just how long he lasted and how well he has recovered!

You will find a lot of catfish will breath air ( note:- never use pure O2 when bagging catfish, always leave a bit of air and then fill with O2)

the main thing is they remain moist and they will survive for a few hours

without being submerged

cool.gif L2H

i remember my female blue acara jumped out of the tank and was dry to a crisp still breathing so i put her in a fry container she survived for about a week then white spot killed her over night sad.gif

G'day

Many catfish have an accessory organ for respiration. They are quite advanced little critters. cool.gif

They are able to obtain oxygen via their stomach. The oxygen diffuses across the stomach wall and into the blood stream.

Cats that have this ability include Hoplos. I am not entirely sure that bristlies have this ability, but I am not quite prepared to test the theory either. blink.gif

Once I had a beautiful female arrive at my place and the next morning she was dry and dusty on the floor. mad.gif I commenced swearing and whilst picking up the body it moved. biggrin.gif

She is still alive and well, althoughI reckon she never recovered completely but that could just be me and my imagination?

Add corydoras, hopolos, whips, and plecoes to that list of air breathers. Haven't you guys ever seen your fish rise to the surface for a gulp of air ???? all these cats do !!!

While transporting 6 12cm G gibbiceps home in a drum I had to hit the skids hard when some dopey dame pulled out in front of me on a round about. Off course fish and water went all over the back of the wagon. They did the rest of the trip in a dry bucket, no harm done.

Alan.

PS ... I have seen full grown plecoes left on a dry concrete floor in Singapore while the owner had a cup of tea and played a game of cards. When he left he just chucked them in the back of the ute and drove off. Seems the done thing over there with big plecoes, too big to even put in a garbage can.

Once when I was cleaning one of my tanks and removed some of the pots, a bn must have slipped out of a pot. Well, I did not realise it. I went shopping and came back an our later if not more. When I came back, I have found the catfish on the concrete floor he/she was sucking on it hard, probably there was a drop of water under it and it still lived. I put it back to the tank and swam away no problem.

he he

Once I had a beautiful female arrive at my place and the next morning she was dry and dusty on the floor

it's so darned hard keeping these threads on topic.... I thought we were supposed to be talking about catfish.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Archived