can someone Identify this fish?

prince

does anyone know whats is this fish called? and how much is it worth

it is the one with blue face and goldish body

sorry for the quality of the picture beacuse this is my first time taking pic of my fish smile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

G'day Prince,

I'll have my guess and say that's a male Kadango Red Fin from the detail available in the pics. And as far as worth goes, how big is he and worth to who? selling to a shop or for sale in a shop or offered for sale here in the forum's?

glenn

Hi Prince,

I agree with Glenn, it's probably a Copadichromis borleyi 'Kandango Red'. But, for comparison, see if you can also find some photos of the Copadichromis borleyi 'Crocodile Rock' - a very similar fish but far less common in Oz.

Cheers,

Just a quick tip on taking photos, take the photo on an angle to the glass when using the flash, that way you don't get the reflection off the glass. I also set my camera to macro when taking shots. I'm sure there is a more accurate way but this works ok for me.

Anthony smile.gif

The 'kadango' varient should have white edgeing on the fins. The 'crocodile rock' varient will have a yellowish edge.

They are the two main types of C. borleyi circulating in the hobby.

There are also 'Chimwalani' (Goldfin) in the country, which have white edgeing, and to my eye, the males look exactly like like 'kadango'. I keep the 'Chimwalani'. I have also heard rumor of other varients of borleyi in the country, but I am not sure which ones, or how available they are.

it is pretty big, how much could i sell it to the shop for? or how much could i sell it here in the forum?

You'll need to give us some more info here.

I'm pretty big tongue.gif

If your fish is 6'3 long then you'll get an absolute fortune for it LOL.gif

it is pretty big, how much could i sell it to the shop for? or how much could i sell it here in the forum?

Prince,

BaZ is right, give us a measurement. I have a colony of Red Fins and my dom male is a big fella @ 18cm. That's my idea of "pretty big" for this type of fish, as for how much they are worth? I'll leave that up to someone that is a bit more up to date with the buy/sell values.

cheers

glenn

Hi Prince,

It may be a statement of the bleeding obvious, but a fish is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And 'One man's meat is another man's poison.' (Sorry, should that be 'One man's fish....') blush.gif

There will be many factors that people consider when determining what a fish is worth to them:

• Size

• Condition

• Availability (how rare)

• Sex

You mentioned selling through the ACE classifieds or to your local LFS. As a general rule, if selling only a small number of adult fish, I would suggest that selling through the ACE classifieds would give you a slightly better return.

But all of the above is just general hoo-haa. You asked how much for your fish? I’d say no more than 20 bucks, probably closer to 15.

Cheers,

Archived