Uni and fish

slinky

hey, i was wondering if any uni students here find they dont have enough time to maintain their fish tanks, cause ill be starting 1st year business next week, and dont want to be neglecting my fish like i did during the HSC. im worried cause i tried balancing schoolwork, social life and fish in yr12, and as a consequence the fish suffered (living in unchanged water and bad water conditions as i didnt have time to do all the tests). i will probably lighten my load of fish, if ppl who have been in my situation, believe that it can be problem trying to balance all 3 whilst studying at uni. any oppinions would be appreciated.

slinky

yeah, the hours are great, but the travelling there and back takes just as much time (damn trains). i think the uni expect heaps of independent study, when we have less contact hours with tutors and lecturers.

well its good to know that it can be done, but i do not plan skipping classes (overdid that in highschool..lol).

out of curisoty YeW, what did u study, 7yrs thats alot compared to my 3yrs..lol

slinky

In final year now (BEd), is easy for me as i only have 2 tanks, but yea sometimes the fish take a backseat and have to wait an extra few days to a week for a water change or filter cleanout.

Anthony thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Yup... 7 years at Uni for me too. I only had about 8 tanks at the time, however I had many other pets, sports and social events. I still managed to find the time to care for them all properly thumb.gif Time management is your best friend wink.gif

merjo smile.gif

I agreed with merjo. smile.gif I just got one more semester to go and will be graduated. smile.gif Since I'm doing Bc Food Science and Tech, I reckon it is one of the craziest courses in uni compared to business and other commerce-related courses! (ie. all 4 -year science courses are crazy..)

In the past years, I needed to attend both lectures and all of the labs (ie. total of 12 hours of labs per week) and the total contact hours per week is 24 hours, ie. the maxium no. of day off is only 1 day. I even needed to go to uni at 9am and go home at 5pm or 6pm *without* any lunch time or breaks for one or two days during the week! It's really tired and got no time to clean any fish tanks at all..and that's why I gave up all my planted tanks and just keep some easy-to-care cichlids to reduce the time needed for caring all the tanks.

Since I'm in my final year of uni, I also required to write out a thesis in order to be graduated. dry.gif I've spent alot of time in uni doing lab experiments, even staying in the lab until late in the evenings, but so far I can still be able to handle all the tank managements. So I reckon it is really depends on what course you are doing as well as how well you can manage your time. wink.gif

But since you are doing business degree, then I think you will be have much more free time to take care of your fish compared to those who do science-related degrees.

Cheers

Heidi

But since you are doing business degree, then I think you will be have much more free time to take care of your fish compared to those who do science-related degrees.

ohmy.gif Look out....run for cover Heidi...I think all those business types are coming!

merjo smile.gif

PS> Double App. Sc. for me LOL.gif

Slinky - i combined uni and fish! - Study like me in aquatic science and aquaculture and you can do the same! You get to do a whole lot of cool experiments, although if you think cleaning filters is bad for an aquarium hobby - well imagine doing it all day for work experience, or for your real job. I once spent two weeks at the sydney aquarium for work experience and had to clean and scrub out the seal pens every morning. Mmm seal poo. Smells tops thumbsupsmileyanim.gif !

Hey hey,

Both Matthew and I combined work, seven years of Uni and work related study wink.gif, two teenagers, three dogs, two birds and 40 tanks of well loved fish.......oh and a bit of a social life dry.gif

Yep agree with Merjo....all about time management and the extra energy that comes from being insane blink.gif .

If you want it enough you will find the means and the way to fit it all in.

Cheers

Aline

IMO business degrees are a lot less time consuming than most other subjects. I did a finance degree and am now doing my Masters in Economics ( UNSW) part time. ( although this semester I am taking 3 classes and working full time, I also do a range of activities that take up all my other spare time) When I compare how much time I spend to some of my friends that did English, Science , Law or Medicine I had it easy!!.. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The trick to doing well in a business degree both in time management and results is to read way outside of the textbooks. By that I mean flick through the fin review each day ( yes it can be dry but it will help), also go to the library and read Business Week (Asia Edition) each week and the Harvard Business Review each month. ( just some random tips)

These will allow you to gain an understanding of real world practices and how they relate to the academic theory you will learn.

So when exams come around you will be able to pull it all together with real life examples.

If you time manange well and don't stuff around like a lot of other students, you will have plently of time believe me.

Without speaking for Yew, I believe he has he Phd in Biology. I may be wrong.

Its good to know that the business students have it easy, unlike some of the science students laugh.gif . i just initially assumed uni would be just as hard or even harder than yr12, and yr12 was crazy, so competitive the HSC. thanks for all your kind words and oppinions ppl, its also amazing how many ppl here attended uni, and the number of ppl that did a postgrad.

slinky

You will probably look back at the HSC at the most competitive year of your education, When you get uni, just relax and enjoy your time there. They are pretty cool places once you get in to the zone, so to speak.

And at the end of the day, marks aren't the only thing that gets you a job. I have had only one person look at my marks and that was it.

im still gonna try for those D's or even the HD cause i want to be accepted into honours for marketing (since im gonna major in marketing and management), i initially wanted to do a masters in the same area straight after, but was told i would be overqualified and have no experience which would make potential employers a bit wary unless i completed a masters in a different area, ill probably come back after a couple of years of work and complete a masters (hopefully MBA).

I hate to sound a bit rude but 30 hours of uni a week??? laugh.giflaugh.gif most of us that work and have fish, would be doing a lot more than that. I work between 50 and 60 hours a week have two kids and still have time to run 5 tanks.

Josh

Sorry I should have been more clear, go hard for your marks and yes certainly go for the HD and D. Just dont lose the plot if you get the odd bad mark, the best advice I was given was to be consistent.

You just wont find uni anywhere near as competitive as the HSC, and in fact no one will know your marks except you at uni.

I went to uni a little older than most, and the first thing I noticed was that the insecure students wouldn't share info and work as a team. The best way to get good marks is to discuss with other students what they are doing and what you are doing in regards to an assignment. ( just make sure that it is two way dialogue, if not then don't share with those people)

As long as you have an open mind, and are ready to discuss different sides of the same arguement then you will do well.

If you have a good level of common sense you will do very well in Marketing, ( I did a minor in Marketing, and was even asked to do honours)

Read Business Week every week if you are doing Marketing.

Which Uni are going to?

The other way to help is to make sure that your normal aquarium maintenance is as efficient as possible. Things like pre-prepared water in a tub with a pump can really make a water change efficient. I know when I am working on proposals for hours on end that bore me to tears it’s really nice to spend a short 10 minutes and cycle out 20% of the water in a tank. It’s that quick if you have a filling hose with a tap and pump. Another thing that helps is I have one of those water level alarms I pop in so I can leave the room and get back to work.

Other’s opinions may differ but I find in my planted tanks, once they achieve a stable state, say after 6 months with no additions or major changes, the main work is in a quick weekly water change. I do a gravel vacuum whenever I have a few minutes extra spare but not nearly as often as I change water. If the process is quick you can keep all your tanks and get great marks. Most of this consideration came up for me when my wife started to get annoyed at all the time I was spending on my tanks. With the new system my tanks look great and I spend a minimum amount of time. (I’d show you photos of my tanks this week re as my ADSL is offline and I web site is down sad.gif )

lol..i shoudnt be complaining some ppl have it tougher with kids and those science degrees. and roo im doing a B businees at UTS city campus and studying fulltime, im so looking forward. im also considreing getting a subscrition to BRW, cause students get a 61% discount, so for 50 issues its only $117. so reading BRW would be helpful u think, thanks for all your help ppl, uve all have been so helpful.thumb.gif

slinky

Slinky,

Any of those business weekly's are good. You dont have to go overboard and read every business mag there is. Just a regular one that is accessible is good IMO. The reason I choose Business week is that most stories are under a page long and is written in a very relaxed style. It is a bit like CNBC, business disc jockeys, not a whole lot of substance but enough to converse on it, if you get my drift.

Archived