Long-finned rams

BlakeyBoyR

Have you seen these little blokes before? We got them in at work the other day and I had never seen them before. Are they new to the scene? Im assuming it is just a genetic trait bred into them over time right? Theyre groovy looking little fish. Is anyone keeping them?

Stop the press - for once (or it might be twice now) Kevin and I agree.

These are a line bred form from Asia. Avoid like the plague.

Think normal inbred, hard to keep ram x 10.

Yep agree 110% these are nasty little critters to keep. They usually fetch a high price, are exceedingly sensitve to both water and temp changes. They have a high deformity rate from fry and are basically a waste of time and money.

When I was in Bangkok last year they had these as 'dyed' fish, so they had red rams, yellow rams, green rams, purple rams and black rams as well as the standard blue and gold.

I would encourage whoever ordered them, not to do it again!

Any chance you can reveal what you are selling them for?

LOL.gif @ Dave..... thumb.gif

If you think the blue rams are hard to keep, I don't see why the golds would be any easier. They're essentially the same fish. Gold rams are just a line bred variant of the blue ones (not genetically any different).

Ah thats a shame to hear sad.gif

But Ive read that there are some discus strains that are hardier than other strains but I cant remember where I read this...I think they were the pigeon bloods? so I thought hmm maybe the rams are like this too...

I've got 2 pairs of gold rams, and although they are tempremental to enviromental changes, I don't find them much different to keep than blue rams, though my blue's are more frequent and successful breaders.

Whenever I have gold's for sale they go like hot cakes and most are success stories out of my tanks - I have heard of some not so great stories, but these are usually fish that go into non-established tanks.

If you are looking to getting some, the best thing to look for is colour, fin shape, eye positioning and size. Also I have found that having java fern in their tanks prior to adding the fish seems to enhance their survival rate.

Be very carefull when buying them from LFS's. I'm sure there are some shops that sell great quality fish, but the gold's I have seen in my local shops in recent years have been far from quality stock!

Good luck if you do plan to get into them, as far I am concerned its all about strong good quality fish, a well cycled tank and the right food and plant mix.

Once you have your tank up and going they are GREAT little fish to watch smile.gif

wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

Hi Ram folk -

Here's a list of species infinitely preferably to Rams (for a variety of reasons) to all but very experienced dwarf hobbyists.

-Bolivian rams

-All Laetacara species (curviceps, dorsigera, sp 'Hump head' etc)

-Nanacara anomala

-Pelvicachromis species (pulcher, subocellatus, taeniatus, sacrimontis (sp?) etc).

Awwww, c'mon Dave. Rams are not that bad, IF you get good quality stock. I have had Rams keel over and die in a week (impulse buy of fish I wasn't 100% confident with), and I have had Rams breed within a day of being added to a tank and thrive. Difference is stock quality, and good quality stock is getting easier to get all the time.

And to be completely honest I am not 1/2 the aquarist that some others are on this site, and definitely not a very experieced dwarf hobbyist.

Would someone with a good strain of Rams please give Dave some so he will leave the poor buggers alone thumbsupsmileyanim.gif .

Steve

lol @ Steve.

I think for most beginners this is a fish to avoid wink.gif. I completely agree good stock are "relatively" hardy. But finding such stock can be more than a bit of a gamble.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone, I'm new and hope this works

I've been breeding all types of rams for about 12 years. In my experience German Rams are definitely tougher than asian rams. Locally bred German rams are tougher again, Gold Rams are a weaker strain than the blue, particularly as juveniles.

Long tails: When I out-breed with these fish I can only hope to get one spawn before the imported specimen dies. The young however are as tough as a regular ram.

Rams can not stand very acid water (particularly juveniles) which causes their fins to cloud over this results, usually in a 90% death rate, any quick PH descent, permanently weakens adult fish. Unfortunately this often happens in the bag when importing fish. These fish seldom live longer than six months.

I usually house my rams in 8'x2'x2' tanks, 700 fish per tank.

In years gone by I would lose every fish, within a short period of time after a sudden PH drop. I now place coral rubble and a small amount of carbon in each tank to prevent this, the hard water seems to have no effect on the fish at all. Temperature fluctuation seems to have no negative effect. They will die from stress if picked on by other fish, or quite often it's mate, usually the female if only one pair of rams are kept.

Don't feed rams live food or frozen blood-worms. Feed them flake, soaked pellets, frozen or newly hatched brine shrimp.

I do a 50% water change every three days and usually house between 2000 and 4000 juveniles and adults and its a rare day indeed that one dies.

Hope this helps

Rams: won't die won't stop breeding. thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ive just bought a couple of rams labelled "gold rams" good chunky fish, but a little too chunky, they have too much blue to be the gold strain but they are growing quite round in their body (almost like discus, and no they havent got bloat as they are quite slender on the sides) The fish are healthy and have quite an appetite, water params are ph7.4 and negligible gh. Could these be 'balloon rams?' if so is the life expectency is very long, female is cherry red and has a belly full of eggs, ovipositor is down as we speak but they aren't cleaning a site as yet. confused.gif

ps just found a piccy and I believe they are 'balloon rams' blink.gif

user posted image

Hi DWD,

I would say that you do have what is called a 'balloon ram' definately not a gold ram!

I saw these fish in a LFS some months ago and have spent quite some time researching them.

From what I can find out, they are a hybrid species, a dwarfed version of an already dwarf species, it is reported that they often produce infertile eggs and are difficult to keep - most reports are less than a year survival.

I found the following site that has some photos and vids about them but not much info

Balloon Rams

Apparently there a quite a few 'balloon' species of common fish such as the gourami, arowana and convict.

They are HUGE in America at the moment, everyone wants some, but they are then disappointed when they die 6 months later and produce lots of infertile batches.

Apparently they were first bred in asia not all that long ago!

Anyways good luck and I hope you have some luck with them - though thats not to say that I'm not upset that we keep creating hybrid species selling them off as something they're not sad.gifdntknw.gifdntknw.gifdntknw.gif

Cheers

Laura

Yeah, I believe Balloon rams are hybrids, But non the less, they have quite the personalities, and are an awesome little fish.

I had 2, but recently lost them (And every other fish in the tank) But i didn't find keeping them hard at all.

But mine never quite looked as good as those ones on the site! I want some of them ones, lol!

Hoges, Mezzacam, You keep calling balloon rams 'hybrids' hybridised with what? Discus? woot.gif I think the work hybrid in this hobby is becoming like ADHD in the child psychology world, cant think of what it is, give it that label. rolleyes.gif

I do believe that were line bred for their short round bodies, as for their fragility only time will tell. dntknw.gif

Okay before you have a go at my message (I don't appreciate being laughed at, especially after I spent the time going back through what I had read to provide you with that information!)

I have read quite a few articles that point to them being a hybrid between a bolivan butterfly and a blue ram with some line breeding for the small stature.

There was another article that thought they may have some african butterfly.

And another which has some pretty concrete stats, states that it was originially an experiment between angel fish and rams!

Basically though, no one seems to have a concrete understanding of what their breeding is.

In future I will remember not to share my hours of research with you! angry.gif

Not wanting to poo-poo your 'hours of research', can you please provide me with any links that indicate these fish are hybrids as all I have found indicate they are line bred. I doubt a fish as distant as Analochromis thomasi (African Butterfly) could cross with a Microgeophagus and crossing a bolivian ram would give you a longer larger fish not the small compact 'runt' that the balloon ram is. I'm not saying you're wrong but I get a little tired of people yelling 'hybrid' without citing any clear evidence. dntknw.gif

Archived