Long-finned rams

BlakeyBoyR

I am inclined to think that the balloon rams and long fin rams are line bred from mutations. I don't think these mutations are healthy, or particularly like them (OK I hate them).

It is feasable as Hoges said that they were crossed with bolivian rams and then bred back for size/shape. This concept has been done with many other fish. (swords/platys, marble peacocks, etc) Personaly i do think that this is more doubtful as shape is not tht way, and colour is too "ramish" dntknw.gif

Thomasi cross I agree just doesn't sound possible.

There was a lot of discussion of this fish on Apistogramma.com at one stage.

Steve

Long finned Rams & Balloon Rams are hybrids, and IMO should be avoided at all costs.

If we are to keep our stocks at a good quality level we should stick with the real deal, and leave the fad styles so as stores dont stock them. (i.e. you dont stock what you cant sell)

DWD, I'll start by confirming that they are NOT a hybrid. (Hybrid what with?)

2ndly, I think there's too much BS going around posted on forums/net articles which are based on sheer ignorance, perpetuating myths and written by people who really are in no position to write anything.

I was just down in one of the largest cichlid farms in Johor, Malaysia, the last few days and I will tell you straight up that these "balloon rams" and balloon whatever fish are produced from perfectly normal looking, fertile parents. The "Balloon" fad is catching on in Asia (and seems to be quite marketable internationally as well), it started with baloon mollies, now there are baloon tropheus, koi, electric yellows, you-name-it for sale. The parent stock is normal and capable of producing "normal" fry.... make no mistake, no "line-breeding" is taking place, but "Balloon" seems to sell better, and at higher prices. tongue.gif

As to how they are doing this, and what is being used, it is controversial (very controversial) and I am not at liberty to say or discuss.

Make no mistake, I do not condone this practice. Just need to clear this issue up.... Not every odd looking fish is a hybrid people!!!

I'm suprised a that. I have read on the net of these balloon rams breeding true (with pictures of parents and young). This was by a passionate supported of balloon rams on apistogramma.com. They have changed there board and I can't find the old discussions.

Steve

I was going to reply, with evidence, but decided it wasn't worth the effort!

Keep whatever excites you, believe whatever you feel the need to!

Maybe keep the insults to yourself! dry.gif

I was more so referring to kevkoi's remark! Anyways if you want some evidence I have a lovely article about their historical genetics if it interests you... I'll chuck it through the photocopier at work one day.

I only just got the mag, and whilst what Kev says is somewhat true in terms of recent genetics, they have a history a mile long, where the original balloon ram (very different to the one you have purchased) was a hybrid species, but was so prone to illness and disease that they kept trying until they got the current test tube model! But... some of the original genetics still exist in today's model!

Anyways... hope you enjoy you odd looking fish! I'm going to stick to the original blue rams!!!

And... what's the deal with all this first name business.... I liked the anominity! cool.gif

Was at one of the largest South East Asian fish exporter's premises today.... saw a few more "balloon" species.

Balloon koi angry.gif

Balloon convict dry.gif

Balloon Apistogramma hongsloi <----- what are they thinking?! shock.gif

Balloon Neolamprologus brichardi

Balloon Tropheus duboisi

.... and of course the Balloon ram. (Almost like the best seller and regular staple export now... huh.gif )

Given they are able to repeat the balloon deformity in so many species it would seem to be something other than cross-breeding?

Is it chemically induced ?

Why the mystery?

No doubt they will sell millions to uninformed people to put in fish bowls....Mine you...to be fair....one of the fish I ever purchased to go in a community tank with creek caught swordtails were Oscars !!!

Does this signal at trend where Governments are banning importation of new species and this will allow commercial interests an opportunity to profit by genetically modifying the legal species to satisfy that need to "have something NEW!"

Anyways good luck and I hope you have some luck with them - though thats not to say that I'm not upset that we keep creating hybrid species selling them off as something they're not sad.gif dntknw.gif dntknw.gif dntknw.gif

Cheers

Laura

I believe it was you who introduced the first name thing woot.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Archived