Substrate: Cleaning (002)

Has anyone got any tips on how they siphon out large pleco poop? I use just the ordinary suction gravel vac which you jiggle up and down to start the flow but it struggles to pick up pleco poo. What do you guys that own larger tankbusters use?? I have a power head blowing over the substrate but this doesn't really make a difference.

i use a product called Active-Bac by aquasonic and i find it helps break down large poops, food etc. for later syphoning. otherwise you could always place a mug under the buisness end of the syphon if the poop is only getting lifted half way or less and collect it in that.

cheers...ryan.

Charlie888

The length of hose I use is only about 2.5m and runs to a bucket so I can water my garden with it. You going to the meeting this month?

Colfish,

When you say a larger hose do you mean the length of the hose or the diameter of the hose? I have tried longer lengths running straight outside but the water flow wasn't as strong?

Katanaone,

I might try the mug idea as the poop gets almost halfway up. Just that after a week the substrate is covered in heavy telegraph wire poo from the pleco. I'll have a look into Active-Bac too.

Thanks for your responses thumb.gif

Adam

Take the vacuum off the end of the hose and just use the hose to suck up the crap. When you have got it all then put the vac back on and do the substrate.

Or plant the substrate well; more fertiliser the better...

Haven't vac'ed one of mine in 18 months; black gravel helps.

gotta love plecos, specially at christmas - they put up their own brown tinsell. laugh.gif

personally, I use a hand-pump powered syphon hose about same diameter as 5 cent piece - hose is about 1.5m long - keep it about an inch of the gravel and you'll be in business... got mine at local pet supplies - should be able to find em at boat yards or bunnings, mitre 10 etc..

Archived