Fluval or Aquaone Cannister filters

Chafule

hey

i have a 2f tank and would like to upgrade from my spong filter to a cannister filter

i am thinkin of these 2 brands

which one is better and for its price?

and which one will be more silent as its right next to my bed.

or what other cannister filters wuld u suggest and why?

Thanx

Another vote for the AC Mini, I've had one on my 2ft tank for many years without any water clarity/quality issues (well, none the fault of the filter anyway blush.gif )

Over filtration is better than under filtration. I am a big supporter of overkill when it comes to filtration. The resun canisters at fish4u at cheap and work well. Or alternatively, the aquaclears ARE good but I would go to a 150, not a mini. Just my 2 cents

Aquaclear filters arent that good always stopping and if the power cuts your screwed cause the filter runs dry otherwise.

I have a aqua one cf 1200 works a charm but for a 2ft that would be overkill go for a smaller version canister!

Hi -

I have had many aquaclears over the years... when turned off they dont completely drain (*and mine certainly didnt run dry*). Is this a problem with new models?

Mine would empty onto to the level of the powerhead (they used to have a small hole to prevent syphoning beyond this point (perhaps someone hasnt been cleaning their aquaclear enough??).

Aquaclears are great clap.gif . Far better than any other hang on the back filter.

I think a canister on a 2' tank is completely overkill. If you want to overfilter get an Aquaclear 100 smile.gif, this is more than sufficient. I should add that Aquaclears are often quieter than most canister filters. A good alternative is an interal sponge filter/powerhead combo construct/thingie. These are quiet and also very efficient.

For a 3' tank you are starting to get to the size where you might consider a canister though smile.gif.

HTH

I tend to disagree with YEW here, I would go with a small canister.. If you want crystal clear water! especially if your keeping cichlids... My aquaclear broke down in the first month i got it especially when you pay good money you expect a lot from a filter ... if i were you spend a little more cash on a small sized aqua one cannister and get more out of it. just my 2 cents thumb.gif you won't be disapointed!

Hi All -

This could get a bit off track so I am going to limit my comments except to say: Wilsta, it sounds to me like you were quite unlucky when it came to your aquaclear.

Also, I dont think crystal clear water is limited to tanks that are overfiltered. I filter all my 2' tanks on a single corner filter each. They are crystal clear!

While I agree with the over filtration concept, its worth pointing out that in a 2' tank you cant keep many cichlids one would usually lump into the "messy" category. All that really fits in this tank size are south american or west african dwarfs (generally a pair or trio)... or a small "colony" of a small sized lamprologine eg: N. multifasciatus (or a Julidochromis spp).

I have always subscribed to the over-filtering principle, but would not bother with a canister on a 2ft tank.

An aquaclear 300 would still be big overkill but it works (I have done it).

I'll back up YeW's comments about the aquaclears.

They normally go forever, and then some more!

If you have one which stops within a month like that you are very unlucky and should immediately replace it under warranty.

I have one on my multifasciatus tank beside me here and I cannot hear it at all. I have to look at the surface of the water to make sure it is still running. This is an aquaclear 300, filtering a 100L tank, and I clean the filter once every 6-12 mths. It's that simple smile.gif

Plenty of options for a 2 footer, and most have been mentioned. I don't see anything wrong with a small canister such as a Fluval 104 but it'll cost you about $125.00. I have a 304 that is very quiet. If silence is your highest priority the aquaclears are very quiet, although you can get a trickling effect from the water flow. Quietest of all might be a quality internal power filter which would be buffered by the water volume and allow for tighter fitting lids than you can have with a hang-on filter.

Glenn

the aquaclears are very quiet, although you can get a trickling effect from the water flow

In my tank this is just an indication that I need to top the water up.

When the water is at the right level (well, the level I prefer) it's silent with no trickle noise.

Hi Chafule,

IMHO cannister filters are the easiest to clean and maintain.I have several aqua one filters,heaps of ehiems and a couple of fluvals.The aqua ones i have had for over a year now with no noise or mechanical problems.They are good value for money and do as good a job as any of my other filters.The fluvals are the ones that give me the most trouble ie impellors,leaks and problems priming them.Aqua Clears are good filters in their own right but your thread actually asked about two different cannisters not a hang on filter.So if it is within your budget go for an Ehiem 2213 or save a few bucks and buy the similar size Aqua One.

Cheers thumb.gif

I have been using my via aqua for 5 years now( they changed the name to aquaone) and i have not had any problems with it.I also got a aquaclear 300 & 500,

they are just as good.if you use a aquaclear you don't have to have a airpump in the tank.

I got a eheim classic 2217 8 months ago and i had to change the impeller may be just my luck.

my 2 bobs worth.

• 2 weeks later...

Not everyone wink2.gif

I have fluvals which are quite old and they are still working well.

1 would be 15+ yrs old and is the old brown style, and the other is the old grey style and about 9 yrs old).

I like their reliability.

But, don't quote me because I have not owned one of the new fancy ones which replaced the old style about 4 years ago.

Well, I have always been told Fluvals are good but I haven't owned either for a decent amount of time. Fluvals do have a 3yr warranty against Aquaone 1yr but then your spending the extra money on a Fluval for quality otherwise it wouldn't have such a long warranty...

I just bought a Fluval 404 for my 240lt 4ft tank... But its missing a part hehe so I gotta take it back and swap it or somthin sad.gif

Mick

Fluvals were good 9years ago but have since dropped the ball. Aqua 1 has been by far the cheapest/lowest maintenance filter i have ever owned and its really quiet. you get heaps of accessories (more than you need) and replacement parts are really cheap.

I have got the aqua ones and they work a treat. I have broken a few taps, But I put it down to my brute strength LOL.gif. I dont think it matters which one you get, in a quiet room a night, right next to your bed, you will here it. For the first few nights it may be annoying but after that it wont bother you.

I would go with the Aquaclear on a tank that size. but if you want a cannister then go for the cheaper one. Atleast if its too loud you can buy a box of ear plugs aswell

Archived