Whats Your Fav Cichlid

cleggy

Hi guys just wanted to start up a discussion on what peoples fav cichlids are, and if any pictures please show! this will help me get a better understanding of some of the fish ive never heard of or seen before!

cheers

cleggy

clap.giflaugh.gifrolleyes.gif

Well, you've probably seen them before but my favourite is Psudotropheus Lombardoi. The reasons are because this was my first cichlid i ever had and was succesfull in breeding. They have plenty of attitude and despite their reputation they are managable. Equally my favourite would be Neolamprologus Brichardi. They may not have alot of colour but they are just an awesome fish to sit and watch.

Ps. Lombardoi

user posted image

N.Brichardi *Ratunga barundi* Green face

user posted image

Anthony cool.gif

Mine would be Archocentrus nigrofasciatus aka Convict Cichlid

They Breed like crazy, They Look Kool!

They are very good defenders of there territory!

They are avaliable in 2 Colors! Pink and Grey with Black Stripes.

They are Easy to sex!

I also like Electric Yellow

Vibrant yellow coulor,

Do well with alot of other fish,

very hard to decide but my favourites would definately come from the the big guapotes range such as the jaguar cichlid, the wolf cichlid, Parachromis friedrichsthali, i also love festaes, red devils, umbies, green terrors, ahhh too many to choose from.if i could have them all i would!

cheers

Hmm, too hard to narrow it down to one cichlid so ill just say one word..

" Mbuna "

Particulary

Kingsizei

saulosi

greshakei

auretus

maingano

elongatus

ect ect ect ect ect ect ect thumb.gif

american: either convict or chocolate cichlid. close call really

tang: daffodil brichardi, first tang I ever had step breeding. though tropheus are really close

malawi: polystigma or kingsizei. a close call

cant choose all time favourite though, all too differnt. though chances are it would be the convict.

Malawi: Pseudotropheus saulosi - They NEVER hide!

Tang: Any of the Cyathopharynx types.

American: My oscar Hank. The only fish I've ever named laugh.gif

Non cichlid:

Catfish: Sailfin gibbiceps or Synodontis multipunctatus cats.

Saltwater: Any of the morays.

Coldwater: My big old blue yabby. He took many electric yellows before I worked out what was happening laugh.gif .

see i told you there are too many to name.

kinda easier to answer best looking or meanest cichlid but favourite...

after reading kinerata's and Luke Austin's posts i realised that i hadn't put the good old convict or cichla down shame on me.

happy to see we now have a bigger american cichlid fan base on the forums! thumb.gif

Americans - I'm lovin the red devils atm - though the convicts have some balls!

Malawi - I've always liked the look of venustus, dunno why.

Tang - alto comps for sure

I don't think I have a favourite...however after saying that, some deaths are harder to take than others. My black calvus, fronties, tinanti, rossies, jumbo leptos, L. oculatus and my nearly acquired Exos would be amongst my favourites.

merjo smile.gif

My favourite would have to be the Red Devil/Midas cichlid.(I think an aquaruim in the canterbury bankstown area has the Ultra rare Zaliosum strain of the Red Devil in their display tank.

Convicts a good too(I noticed that convicts all have different faces).

I like Tropheus and Chipokes also.

This is always the hardest question for me to answer. huh.gif

I think they are all equally amazing in their own way thumb.gif

However, I think the Green Terror would have to be up there in terms of both appearance and personality for the American group.

And for Malawi... Well I can't go past my demasoni at the moment, colour, attitude, many many fry, I love em!

Tangs... Not so keen on the Tang's honestly - I find frontosa boring (sorry) and Alto's while intertesting looking, I also find boring (SORRY again) My only soft spot would be for the shellies, and I keep multis. I haven't fallen in love with Tropheus yet, but I plan on trying at some point thumb.gif

all time favourite Malawi cichlid would have to be the Dimidiochromis compressicep,i have 12 of them currently and current favourite tanganikan is the L.elongatus only have 3 of these ,they are kind of quite similar in temperament and look to the malawi fusco. Sorry for the abbreviations just being lazy laugh.gif

cheers

i would have to go 100% with the jaguar cichlid

these fish have character. the one i have at home runs the tank shows everybody whos boss

definatly my favourite cichlid but also i rekon that dimi comps are up there to as well as a texas cichlid

yeah there my favourite ones

Thanks Ryan

Archived