filtration for large tanks

efc01

Hey i am in the middle of setting up a rather large tank and was wondering if anyone has tried using a pool sand filter as filtration???

I was thinking of using one rated for a spa or small sized pool.

Looking at the prices for ther filter and pump they are not all that more expensive then a top line ehiem.

Look forward to your coments

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick,

I'm not an expert, however I think this is a great idea for volume filtering (must be a big tank). One concern to think about that I recently experienced was "pump noise".

I went through 3 x 3000-4000lph pond pumps until I found one the the wife could live with in our lounge room.

Most pool or spa pumps I have seen/heard have been outdoor units and I would consider them very noisey compared to even the largest ehiem.

Regards,

Chris

Some pool pumps are rated to run 24/7, but as a rule, are much more expensive to run than a dedicated low wattage aquarium pump.

There are a few inexpensive brands of aquarium pumps that seem to last the distance. Aqua pro from AOA seem to be doing well at the moment.

Alternatively, there are some high quality pumps available from irrigation suppliers that are a better choice pricewise than some high end aquarium pumps.

A pool pump is dam loud ,would be very expensive to run and take up a fair bit of room.

How big is the tank?

IMHO a good sized sump would be a better choice. Or have a look at a few of the American sites they have some big tanks (around 3000-4000gal) and the filtration used for it

Josh

Are you planning on putting the pump inside, under the tank or outside the house???

If noise is an issue then u can run the pump on the out side of the house, just drill a hole in the wall. Then have the pump in a position that uu cannt hear it.

I have seen this method for spa baths. just an idea. rolleyes.gif

Wetfish

i have seen some sand filters made by rainbow lifegard that are sand filters and are pretty big made for large aquaria.

Do we have a importer of rainbow lifegard equipment.

The tank is in its planning stages and is going to be made of plywood/glass/concrete.

I have already made a plywood tank and want a tank that can house all my fish in.

Cheers

Nick

G'day

I suppose what I would like to ask is how big is the tank we are talking about?

I have seen tanks filtered wonderfully just with side drops that were 10x2x2. So to justify this sort of setup it must be a very big tank. The other option as already mentioned would be a trickle filter. They work really well and can be built as large as you require.

I know it is fun to break new ground at times but sometimes the tried and true methods really are the best thumb.gif

HTH

What is wrong with using an old fashion air driven sponge filter huh.gif

I have seen them running on some big tanks 2000L

And full of tropheus ect fish that wont tolerate poor water conditions and they have been running that way for years

Archived