DISASTER: Most fish all dead over night

Richard

Hey guys,

Im at melbourne at the moment and this morning i had a call freom my mother saying 10 fish had died!

They had died because i had to take out their airstone and return it to this guy that wanted it back. Well i forgot to return it but just put the pipe in the tank.

Overnight someone must have tripped over it and made it fall but this is what died overngiht.

1 colony of e.blues (all over 8cm)

Half the Hongi colony (breeding/0

2 frontosa (11cm)

1 Femasle calvus (ready to breed)

What has hurt me the most is the female calvus which i had only purchused last week.

I have never had a problem with air before maybe cause the tan kwas over crouded?

Richard

Not a nice experience to get one of those phone calls ..... been there myself

I find it strange that an airline falling out the tank would have a result like that

unless the tank was overstocked, overfed or underfiltered to have that happen overnight

:(: L2H

Hey Richard,

Sorry to hear about the death of your fish. Its sad when you have properly set up the tank and everything is going good and then one day, you loose some fish. :o :(

You can rely on surface water movement from your filter so that next time your air pump decides to die on you out of the blue or some other freak accident, your filter can provide some air for your fish.

Huy

I'm with Link. What filtration do you have? What size tank is it? How many other fish are in the tank?

My fish have been with no air (which means no filtration for me too) for 9 hrs during a blackout in winter (no heaters either) and I lost 2 fish. It seems unusual for you to lose so many if they still had filters and heaters etc.

Hey guys,

The filter is a Via Aqua 300 which pumps 850lph. Tank was about 3.8ft, close 4ft

What was in the tank was the following fish

Huy: Before i left to Syfney i did a water change which made the spray bar go under the water. Therefore no oxygen

13 e.yellows, 5cm mark

5 e.blues 8cm+

5 L. Hongi 7cm+

6 Frontosa 10cm + ?( amazed the 15cm guy is allive)

3 BN 5cm+

2 Calvus 9cm+

What im thinking its overcrowed tank space

cheers

Richard

Definitely overcrowded in my opinion.

Did you find the bigger fish died first? That's often a sign of low oxygen i think, as they need more oxygen than the smaller ones.

Richard, your tank is definitely overcrowded. In my opinion, I think you should keep the fish you already have and not buy anymore. However, if you do decide to get some more fish as replacements, get some more filtration or a bigger tank.

Cheers,

Huy

Hey guys,

The frontosa, calvus and 13 e.yellwos were supposed to go into the 6x2x2 that i have set up and ready but i just wanted to make sure it was safe so i put in 1 e.blue in there and i was gonig to put those fish in once i get back next week.

what amazed me was that all 13 e.yellows survived..

cheers

Richard

Richard,

:88: :o

Not the calvus!!! No...........!!!

Feel sorry mate. The tank is overcrowded, but it doesn't matter if you have enough filtration and O2 and your fish don't get bullied.

The filtration you have isn't enough. But I don't think this is the cause of death. Anyway, don't go with te LPH thing that the filter tells you especially with cannister. If you have very efficient media like effisubtrate, you have a vast amount of bacteria. Regardless, they do use lots of O2.

I think your fish died cause lack of O2. You mentioned that the spray bar is submerge and no air pump running. There you go. I had the same problem before. I know what it's like. But hey, you learn from it.

Cheers,

DD

G'day Richard

I am so sorry for your loss! :(

But now you have to act and learn from your stuff up. Move the spray bar out of the water. While you are away just get your mum to drop the water level.

When you get back, cut the pipe/hosing to ensure that it is above the water line, always. (Just use a hacksaw on the plastic or sharp knife on the hosing). This way it can never happen again!

Personally I try to have a backup system in my overstocked tanks. Eg, a filter that actively moves surface water around and/or a few airstones. You will never regret this type of backup practice.

Oh and when you get more airstones, buy about 3 times more than you need. They are useful for all sorts of things, such as icecream filters and fry tumblers. My preference is for the plastic type, the only problem is that they sometimes clog with sand after about a year of operation and need to be cleaned out (easily done).

Wows i think thats really heavily overcrowded, and underfiltered for that many fish! Im assuming this is a 4ft standard not 4x2x2.

If it was lack of oxygen you there should be some indicators, like fish gasping for air at surface of water, or breathing heavily...

Sorry about your loss mate that is really bad. :o :o

I agree with the rest of the people in this thread. I have read that alot of oxygen exchange in the tanks is through surface movement , i use couple of power heads close to the surface but not breaking it. It has the added advantage of extra filtration. Good luck with your new fish :unsure

In my tanks i don't use airstones because the air pump is too noisy. It's supposedly a myth that airstones dissolve lots of oxygen, instead their function is to disturb the water surface so that gases can be exchanged. That's why i only use a few powerheads to disturb the water's surface, it's alot quieter!

fishaddiction: i don't want to give any wrong advice, but i think that means that there's not enough oxygen. one morning after a 3 day blackout i woke up to see all my fish breathing deeply and quickly. The next few days the heavy breathing developed into gulping, and then one by one (largest to smallest) my fish dropped to the bottom and died. :angry:

There ARE a number of different reasons for heavy or fast breathing, but at this time of year with unusually high temps heavy breathing is usually caused by a lack of oxygen.

The hotter your fish get, the more oxygen they will need. If your tank is overstocked or your filter is not big enough for the conditions, they will gasp.

Give your fish more oxygen (most simply by aggitating the surface with an air stone or filter outlet) and reduce the temp slowly. If they still breath heavily, look for other possibilities.

Like i said, there's other possible causes, but with the high temps i'd try this first.

fast breathing could be also due to the fact that they are DYING, cos once i forgot to de-cholorinate the water change and alot of fish dyed while breathing very heavily, gulping

richard - dude im very sorry to hear that, i, myself have lost that amount of fish overnight, its very painful, esp when your not there :huh: anyway i will talk to u when u get back, maybe i could arrange something for u ;) lets wait and see

Hope all goes well when you get back. I lost fish because of oxygen myself, forgot to turn the airpump back on after water change! HAHA It's best to have a filter that splashes the water, though air stones are prettier, you can't go wrong with 4+ airstones in a tank! :): :):

Nels.

Richard -

My advice is to slow down :). You always seem to be buying something new.. inevitably when you do this (I know cause I have done it myself) conditions are not ideal and fish are housed with fish they probably shouldnt be housed with etc.

Pick 1 or 2 species... and stick to them for 6 months before moving on.

In Agreement with what Yew just stated... another thing, which probably hasnt been adhered to is a strict Quarantine program... when you get new fish keep them seperate for 2-4 weeks, until you know there health is 100% and to allow yourself time to ensure there is adequate room for them...

This may seem unusual to some, but for those in the hobby for a while will understand, I always keep 2-3 2ft tanks up and running with say a few guppies/mollies/bn's and snails in each, (to ensure adequate bio activity) so at least if I have a crisis in one of the big tanks, I can easily adjust the water paremeters and move fish around... whilst this has not happenned or has been needed in several years, best to err on the safe side...

Sadly, overstocking in general is almost as good as a death sentence, unless it is only a temp measure, or ultra high performance filtration and very regular partial water changes occur, even then disease can still be inhibited by so many fish in such small confines...

Richard, I feel for your loss, and it is not the first time something like this has happenned, but by bringing the topic up hopefully someone else can be saved from such a tragedy...

MM

Hello guys,

Ok just an update.

My fish are all donig well now after i got my mum to put the airstone back in :lol:

but....last night the filter stuffed up and had to put the 2217 in, so now im 1 filter short :p

cheers

Richard

Archived