spiders in the fishroom

mysteriousredsuns

hi ppl.

my fish room doubles as a garage and because its got heaps of holes such as door holes and other stuff like that, i have been getting a spider infestation. its quite irritating when u open the tank lid only to notice ur tangled in a spiders web.

i hate these suckers but i heard that surface spray could harm fish. i have got an electric rodent repeller which seems to do jack all and was wondering if there is any other suggestions to getting rid of these pests?

They would not be there unless there was a food source for them, remove the food source and they will leave.

What sort of things are you seeing in there webs? is it insects that are hatching out of your tanks? or is it fish food?

Trust me there are worse things to have in your fish house

Don't use chemicals in the garage to eradicate the spiders. Close the place up, go around the outside with a surface spay of some kind at all cracks and other potential entry points , then by hand get rid of all the spiders inside.

Look at the bright side; they may be eating your cockroaches. I know what I'd rather have. My daddy long legs get cleared away if they get too webby, but otherwise I just live with them.

Craig

Yeah I just leave them. I'd rather have a few webs scattered about the place than bugs running around scavenging the bits of flake etc that accidentally get dropped.

If they are inside the tanks, then keep the levels up and I doubt they will like such a damp environment close to the surface (or else get an archer fish laugh.gif )

I agree with other respondants - most spiders in the fish room are harmless (in fact you're liable to have a plague of other critters if you rid yourself of these most helpful of arthropods). I dont like huntsmen - they creep me out - so I get rid of any I find in the fishroom - but for the most part it is just daddy long legs (these are spiders that eat other spiders... so I'm happy for them to stay smile.gif). Spraying near your fishtanks is as others suggested about as sensible as setting your own pants on fire.

Live with em wink.gif

I've found if you vacuum around the tanks most of the food and little critters disappear and only return when ive been slack with the house keeping.

Neil

tears i tell u.

i look in the garage and all i see are spiders webs and bugs flying near the lights! under the lights? yep my tanks.

i think ill go and clean the whole place up tomorrow and use surface spray around the garage but i think its a near impossible job. i guess i can live with them as long as they stay in a corner. just hate it when u reach for the cover glass and u get spider webs on u. at least they are daddy long legs.

thanks for the response. ill do a clean up and might work out a natural lighting system eg windows instead of fluoros. i think a major problem is fluoros on at night just attract the bugs which attract the spiders.

thanks for the input everyone.

Try sucking the little buggers up with a vacuum cleaner then spraying baygon down the nozzle then turn the vacuum cleaner off.Last time i sucked them up I forgot to spray down the tube only to find most trying to crawl out an hour or so later in the house(my wife was impressed) mad.gif

If the spiders are attracted by all the other bugs, why not try one of those electric bug zappers? If there's no bugs in the room the spiders will look elsewhere.

You can pick them up for around $50 I think and perhaps the "BZZZT" every few minutes as it fries another bug might be more pleasant than a room full of spiders.

Hi Sarah, I saw his first post where he mentioned

i have got an electric rodent repeller which seems to do jack al

I assumed this was one of those little units you plug in and it sends out a pulse of some kind to keep mice and rats away.

The kind I am talking about is one which hangs up, has a bright blue light which attracts bugs, and it fries them upon contact.

I doubt he is using one of these as a rodent repeller because the smell of fried mice rats and ferrets would not be a nice one methinks wink2.gifLOL.gif

i paid $50 for this pulsing sound generator that is only audible for spiders etc and i gave it a few good months to do its job. i thought that would be the best way. the only problem about killing bugs is that i lose good free food for fish and i dont even have to feed it to them. its an automatic feeding process. too bad these spiders are cutting in on my bug market!

i did a sensational run today, 3 hours of pure destruction in the garage. cleaned up at least 20 spiders and their webs manually. im going to move the spider eradication unit to another position as it might be just getting snuffed in its current position.

but if all else fails, that bug zapper would probably find its way in there!

Archived