Substrate: Cleaning (011)

Use a gravel cleaner with a smaller pipe or restrict the output of the pipe you have, maybe kink it with a knot. If there is not too much flow the sand will drop before the mulm and poo. It's not as quick to get the junk out like hard gravel as the mulm floats up more slowly with the smaller pipe but I get almost no sand in the bucket when I finish.

I haven't been able to find a way to siphon without removing at least a bit of sand.

I think you can only reduce the amount you siphon out. My method is simply to tilt the pipe and adjust it accordingly based on what you see getting sucked up. Sorta like changing gears on a car/bike.

If I could be fudged I retrieve it from the bucket afterwards.

That's just the method I use and it works for me. tongue.gif

Cheers

Paul

p.s. keep in mind you are always going to get a bit of sand. I do. I do waste a bit as it's mixed in with the junk in the bottom of the bucket. Sometimes the junk you are trying to syphon off has about the same density as the sand and you will get some sand getting it. Stuff like fresh pleco poo or bits of wood.

Cheers for all the infomation... I like the idea of putting the lost sand back in the tank if it's not too messed up with the dirt, if that doesn't work out then I'll give the coke bottle trick a go.

Cheers thumb.gif

Archived