Prefered fry size when buying/selling ?

Guest Gutty

Good point.

Here's my situation. I'm not really into breeding and have never sold fish privately before, actually have never sold fry before. In the past i have either grown them all up and traded them in at a shop or given them away to friends or used them for food.

I currently have about 20-30 Copadichromis borleyi - Kandango fry that i'd like to get rid of. I'd simply like to know what size most of you would prefere these to be before buying them. They are all in very good shape bar one that was in my comunity tank for a few days(got his tail munched big time) but he's not for sale.

Any opinions would be much appreciated

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

I usually let my fry go at around the 3cm mark (smaller if they are shellies or dwarfs). I decide how much they will cost me to feed/house etc. and weigh it up. About 3cm seems to work for me.

When buying fry, any size is OK as long as I'm sure that I'm getting what I pay for. For example, many fish are difficult to accurately identify when small, and sexes can be hard to determine. Size may also be an issue if they are going to cohabitate with larger fish.

HTH

merjo

89 veiws and only 3 replies. I would have thought more people would have had opinions on this................and you call yourselves breeders...... :p;)... ;)

Anyway, question has been answered, thanks to those who replied.

Lata

Matt

Hi all,

Selling to individuals is a lot different to selling to shops. Your LFS usually wants bigger fish than an individual is willing to take. I sell at the following sizes:

Blues - at least 5cm (because you might get some males showing colour).

Mainganos - at least 4cm.

Yellows - 4 to 5cm.

Saulosi - at least 4cm.

Acei - at least 5cm (mainly due to their relatively high price).

Ngara 'Flametails' - at least 3 to 4cm (mainly to individuals, because they are such slow growers).

'Taiwan Reefs' - same as for Ngara 'Flametails'.

I would recommend at least 4cm for your Kadangos.

Cheers,

That helps alot. Thanks very much everyone !!

Well they are 3cm now and not one reply to my add. Maybe i'm asking too much though.............. :(

Anyway, i think i'll let em grow another cm or so. Anyone after some Kandangos in the new year, you know where to look. ;)

Anyone feel like recomending a price ? $1/cm seems like the normal price for common fish. Yes/no ??

Thanks

Matt

Archived