Tropheus Bloat

TropheusQueen

Hi all,

For those that may have read the post in the Photography forum over the past few days may know that for the first time, I am attempting to deal with an outbreak of bloat in one of my tanks sad.gif .

These are relatively new fish, having had them only a few weeks, so their behaviour did not strike me as odd until what I think is now too late. I will post a whole article when the true outcome is known in a couple of weeks. The sadness is that these fish were offered to me blush.gif due to my success (read copious luck) with my other variants.

I am being quite aggressive with their treatment and will keep everyone informed as I learn.

A huge thank you to all that have assisted, both with medication, education and most of all morale support (worth it's weight in gold) smile.gif. I could not have come this far, nor could the fish for that matter, without it.

Thank you especially to Nigel, Jim and Jessica for their infinite wisdom and directness.

I welcome anyone's experiential comments smile.gif .

Cheers

Aline

Hi Aline,

Sorry to hear of the bloat outbreak sad.gif

I'm curious, can you answer some questions for me? I'm a tropheus n00b but would like to get a colony one day (they are one of the only africans that interest me tongue.gif )

Have you been feeding them the same diet as their previous owner?

I assume the water perameters are spot on & they are in a species tank, so what do you think may have sparked this outbreak? Just stress from their move?

Just trying to learn blush.gif

Ash

Hi Aline,

Very sorry to hear about your misfortune sad.gif . I have never experienced bloat in Tropheus spp. however I have had it take down a young group of Ps. elongatus "flavus". I treated them over three days with clout (1 tab to 38L) with a water change prior and at the completion of treatment. Of my original group of 11, I was left with 4. I know that I didn't catch it as soon as I might have, however I'm not sure if the outcome would have been any different. Not much useful information for you I know....just sharing a sad story I guess cryblow.gif

Andrea smile.gif

Aline,

I cant offer any more advice either but I wish you and your fish the best of luck.

Thanks Merjo. They do say that misery loves company blush.gif and while I wouldn't wish it on anyone, I take comfort that others have gone there before and that I learn from the smallest of ideas.

Ash, what caused it is anyone's guess. The only thing different would have been the move. They have been moved twice (to my knowledge) all other factors the same. All owners, experienced fish keepers. I only blame myself that I did not pick up their lethargy sooner for what it was sad.gif I have since learnt alot from Nigel and Jim about the first signs - and will now adopt this with my other colonies.

I have also learnt that medications that most people claim will work - apparantly don't, and are too weak in dose dry.gif . etc etc.

Ah hindsight....what a wonderful thing.

Will keep all interested posted.

Cheers

Aline

Hi Aline...so sorry to hear you have encountered the dreaded bloat, best of luck.

The only medication I have ever has success with is Clout and that has only been when I have caught an outbreak in quick-time.

I have found that moving my Tropheus without leaving them to settle can be a sure-fire way to get an outbreak...so a couple of moves in short time may well have been the start of the problems.

I don't think BengaBoy is around much these days on the forums but if ya want him mobile number just drop me a PM, as I am sure he won't mind & would happily offer any ideas he has.

Hi all that are interested.

A week has now passed since commencing to medicate the tank and four days since the change of dose, as per Nigel and Jim's advice smile.gif , and the start of an antibiotic as well.

I also followed the advice to remove all physically bloated fish from the tank - thanks Jess and Nigel.

From 24 I now have 15 nkodes sad.gif but today is the second day where no deaths have occurred. I am soaking their food in Metronidazole and will continue to do so for approximately two weeks as per advice, while continuing to monitor their behaviour. They are only minimally interested in the food atm. Any interest however I will take as a positive sign.

The few bristlies that were in the tank are doing well and eating ravenously. Today I have also given them a water change and have assisted filtration as the antibiotic does not differentiate which bacteria I wanted eliminated dry.gif .

Although early days I am starting to relax a little, and if all I expereince is the loss of nine, albeit very beautiful fish, from this ordeal, then I will be happy to share the whole story.

Prayers and offerings to the fish gods are in order.

Cheers

Aline

So glad to hear there is, at least, some interest in food again.

Sacrifices, much chanting & beating of drums will be performed on this side of the country....only in an effort to appease the fish-gods and send more good Tropheus-health your way.

Hope it helps.

Sorry to hear you lost some Aline but hang in there and with a little bit of luck you wont lose any more. The problem with bloat is early detection and knowing what to look for. Any way mate its all part of keeping African Cichlids.

Hope all is getting better, I am sacrificing Amaricans to apease the Tropheus gods!

but seriously when i had my outbreak i also though all was good, afetrr no deaths for about a week then a few more dropped off, dont get complaciant, i would recomend you keep treating after there is no longer any signs of the syndrome.

Hopefully I am wrong and the worst is over , it is so frustrating not knowing the cause, and the subsequant appropriate treatment for this cruel disease. i know i had days were i nearly cried from frustaration after loosing 21 kiriza and 30 duboisi, it draged out over 5 weeks! nearly sold everything and bought a car to spend money on.

you have my sympathys

Mick.

Thank you again.

Complacent is definately something I will not be again blush.gif .

I have been warned not to relax too soon and will continue medicating their food for a while.

Cheers

Aline

Hope all is getting better, I am sacrificing Amaricans to apease the Tropheus gods!

shock.gif

you don't want me to get some Tropheus as feeders do you? I'll send ransom demand tape with their bag floading above my RD!! LOL.gif

woot.gif

I'll send ransom demand tape with their bag floading above my RD!! 

yes.gifyes.gif If that's what it takes....do it woot.gif do it.

Cheers

Aline

LOL @ Ash, tropheus feeders! have you just won lotto! LOL.gif but seriously as if I would keep any Amaricans to sacrifice.....the g/f may have a few but.

So Aline how is it going?

Very very painstakingly slow dry.gif

I have lost only one more since the last post but the rest are still off their food only every now and then seeming to munch on a floating piece of flake when I put it in.

It is taking alot of strength to force myself to go to the tank early each morning to check if any more have succumbed. I have not dealt with any disease before, let alone bloat, it has been unknown to me for almost ten years now, so in that sense I am back to being a newbie blush.gif

I even spend time with them sitting by the tank, as though a hospital bed, and they come towards me and float next to me until I move to do something else - so I believe they sense that I am their carer and am trying my very best. I do fear though that it will not be enough sad.gif

If anyone had said to me that sick fish would effect me so much, a few years ago I would have laughed loudly......now blush.gif

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Aline

That's really sad Aline sad.gif . I so hope the little guys start turning it around. I don't think you're alone around here for getting sad over your fish. I guess there is a perception amongst many people that a pet that isn't very humanlike isn't worth worrying over. The true animal lover will worry about and do their their best for their little mate(s) no matter what they are.

Good luck Aline and keep fighting for 'em, I'm sure in some way they appreciate your efforts,

Jamie.

Aline I absolutely know what you are going through. I watched 9 out of 10, 3cm 7 bar fronties peg out. Couldn't do anything. I never knew if it was the flight, different water conditions or whatever that took their lives cryblow.gif The emotions ran from grief to anger to despair and all over again. Ripped my heart out watching them go down cryblow.gif . Hopefully you are at the turnaround point hug.gif

Andrea smile.gif

Aline,

sorry to hear about your losses, so just hang in there it will come good I'm sure. Having just gone through a similar thing I feel your pain. My fish weren't valuable to anyone but myself and my 2 year old. It is hard because most of us get so attached to fish it is like they are part of the family.

keep your chin up thumb.gif

all the best

rosco

I tell you what, considering I had just gee'd myself up to try the Tropheus experience, hearing about this is a massive pressure on my mind...

I thought "I'll just do what Aline does. It seems infallible."

Good luck Aline!!

I will still give them a go, so when you work out how to fix it, I will be calling on you wink.gif

Hey hey all,

Ducksta you always brighten my day. I am a bit shaky atm cryblow.gif but I am sure that it couldn't have just been luck that's kept my Tropheus happy all these years. I am watching all of the other tanks, have become quite obsessed really, just to make sure they are okay.

I am keeping a journal so will have at least a recorded, step by step chain of events. If worse comes to worse then it will be what not to do sad.gif

I thought for a moment that this was the only colony that I had purchased that were almost full grown and that the move was indeed the missing factor or culprit as the case may be. However I then recalled that my bulus came from Melbourne as adults with no mishaps.

Jamie, Nigel, Andrea and Rosco...your posts are much appreciated smile.gif

This will not take the love of T's away....only make me more capable and deserving to keep them.

Aline

Aline...

I remember when my colony of 31 Golden Kazumbas quickly drindled to only 4 over a painstaking month of treatment after treatment to no avail. But it was not anything that i did wrong but that the tropheus were already sick in the first place, that the move was the final straw that pushed them over the edge. Don't blame yourself, u will inevitably have enough remaining to rebuild your colony so let nature take its course. I have lost too many tropheus to mention, don't feel bad about it...it is part of being a tropheus keeper.

By the way, if they r taking some flake, try soaking some with metronidazole...it helps to get more of the medication to the site of action. I also gave some Seachem Garlic Guard to help improve their appetite.

HTH

Dave

Archived