Substrate: Sand (015)

I have never heard of Sydney Sand, but I am assume it is Sydney Beach Sand.

Personally I use Pool Filter Sand (Grade = 1mm)

I find it the best smile.gif

Here is a pic of my tank with the pool filter sand:

Sorry for the cloudyness but the pic was taken straight after I put the sand in.

user posted image

I've bought 25kg of "Newcastle sand" (beach sand) from a local landscaping supplier. They've got both "Sydney sand" and "Newcastle sand", but I prefer the latter because:

1) It's very very cheap in price ($5.75/40kg);

2) Light in colour (Sydney sand looks a bit darker, it is light yellow in colour);

3) Consistant in fine grain size (much finer than pool filter sand); and

4) Very easy to clean, ie. not much dirt.

Heidi smile.gif

The Sydney Sand I have seen is beach sand.

Different outlets give their various sands different names wink.gif

Has anyone tried limestone sand?

I tried normal sand for a while but ended up switching back to gravel. I found it hard to clean all the dirt from the bottom - with gravel its easy with the vacuum syphon thing - how do you guys syphon to sand?

Thanks for all the help, the easiest cheapest thing ended up being the sydney sand which doesnt look too bad.. now i just gotta get my stupid ammonia reading down!

I consequently have a big bag of the stuff leftover so if anyone wants some cheap sand.. im in kellyville!

Where do you buy limestone sand? I didn't know there was such a thing.

In regards to how you would gravel clean it.

1. Restrict the amount of water going out of the tank (put an in line tap on your siphon hose).

2. Use a smaller diameter hose.

3. Kink the hose you are using just at the point when the sand is about to leave the gravel-cleaning chamber, as sand falls again, more chamber to a different spot, and un-kink the hose start again.

4. Use a bigger sized chambers (home made = a bigger bottle) so it takes more suction to get the sand out and up into the siphon hose.

Craig

Hi Craig,

I use lime sand in many of my aquariums....it comes in a number of grades - from "castor sugar" consistency to a few mm diameter. It has an excellent buffering capacity. I purchase it in 25kg pre-packed bags from a mineral sands outlet.

HTH.

merjo smile.gif

Hi Craig,

I use lime sand in many of my aquariums....it comes in a number of grades - from "castor sugar" consistency to a few mm diameter. It has an excellent buffering capacity. I purchase it in 25kg pre-packed bags from a mineral sands outlet.

HTH.

merjo smile.gif

Hi Merjo,

What does limestone sand look like? color?

Also does anybody know where to get this in Sydney?

fins

in regards to cleaning the sand, i find that all the crap sits on top and you just have to syphon it off the top with a hose, you dont even need a gravel cleaner smile.gif

No probs. Craig smile.gif

fins....sorry I am in Perth, so I am not familiar with mineral sands outlets in the east. It is pure white and extremely fine. The one drawback is that it is easily stirred up, especially by larger fish (eg. my fronties spook at their own shadow and create sand storms). However it does settle again quickly. It wouldn't be advisable to use it in a tank where you are worried about it getting into the filter because it does "drift" a bit before settling out again. The larger grade has greater density and is not as easily disturbed.

merjo smile.gif

I get mine for $8.00 for a 40kg bag from my local landscape supplier which does a couple of 4 footers 
.......lime sand???? or sand?

merjo smile.gif

merjo,

Do you have any pics of the lime sand you are using?

Also, would you know if your supplier out your way would send some bags out this way?

fins

Archived