Metriaclima sp "msobo" V Metriaclima sp "msobo heteropictus"

Josh

I have a question which I wish to put to people on here.

In march I purchased to seperate groups of Metriaclima sp "msobo", I have some doubt about weather one group is infact Metriaclima sp "msobo". The fish I bought were young, around 4-5cms one group shows the typical bright yellow color, the other is the dull yellow color similar to Metriaclima sp "msobo heteropictus". I am only comparing them to pictures in Ad konings books, and what I have seen on the net.

Have Metricalima "msobo heteropictus" ever been available in Australia or is the second group I have just not as good as the other group?

If anyone has any info on the heteropictus please let me know, I would be interested to know other thoughts on this.

Josh

Thanks Chris

The only problem I have is that I have no males showing color yet. One group of fish are dull and washed out looking and the other is bright yellow. Also when I look at not all fish have egg spots. Of the brighter group, all the fish that have egg spots have two, and in the other group, the fish with eggs spots only have one. I know that eggs spots are not the be all and end all of identifying fish, but I find it strange that the two groups are so different.

Josh

Mate i bought 2 groups of young msobo years ago and 1 group had really good bright orange colouration the others were yellow and dull but changed after a few weeks on the nls

Also eggspots are not a good gaurantee to species or sex

Although all male msobo will have 3 ormore eggspots females will have no more than 2 but this isn't obvious till they reach about 7 cm

Cheers

About half of each group have no eggs spots at all. I just thought I would note it as the two groups are so different. I will have to see what happens as they grow some more.

Josh

Have Metricalima "msobo heteropictus" ever been available in Australia or is the second group I have just not as good as the other group?

Josh

Heteropictus were definately available back when I bought my Msobo in 2005/2006, I remember there being some advertised in the classifieds here and even some pics posted. From memory the males didn't have the dark blue of the Msobo but the females looked pretty similar.

Archived