Growing Algae!

hungsta

I don't know much about this but I've only had a fish tank for two weeks with a cave/ornament and it has started to algae up already on the top, assuming it depends on the fish, mine are two convicts.

well my tank gets some sunlight in the morning and tahts about it...

my glass does get the algae so if i leave the rocks in there long enough, it should be ok...

i guess theres no quick fix

How about growing Java Moss on the rocks, or if you ar really keen, tie some Ricca to it.

I accidentally backwashed my trickle filter back into my tank once and all the nutrients aka. sh*t went back into the system. The tank had been cleared of it's residents at the time so I left it. There was a blue tube and white tube over the tank and within about a week I had the beginnings of a wonderful green aquarium (not green water but beautiful lush algae encrusted on the rockwork. I returned my tropheus back to the tank and they went ballistic with all the greenery. I replicate this often for my tropheus and other algae lovers and it works well (make sure your fish aren't in the tank when you backwash though.

merjo

HI all

Is there a way of just getting the lighter green algae just covering the rocks. or is it just a natural progression, the rocks have been untouched for 6months. I now have inch long dark green hair type algae all over the rocks and even some of the sand, is it just the type of lights (2x growlux 4 footers) will this hair type algae be eaten by tropheus as i am getting 15 at christmas.. thanks

A good alternative is to have an old tank or tub outside in the sun. Put some rocks in it and let the algae grow. Then put the rocks in your indoor tanks and put more rocks outside to grow more algae.

Archived