Substrate: Lime/Marble/Shell (001)

Hi all,

Ok well i've made my stand to hold a 3' and a 2' tank. My 3' will be the first setup and will have some kind of sand (river/beach) as the substrate. I don't want to fill the canister filter with shell grit or crushed marble nor do i want it spread on the bottom of the tank, so if made a DIY canister with a pump to circulate water through it and filled it will crushed marble/shell grit would this work as effectively as spreading it on the bottom of the tank or putting it in the filter?

cheers.

Hey Mate,

I made the most awesome DIY canister filter (people who have seen it back me up here!) which i have for bilogical filtration, and a good chunk of crushed coral in it for buffering too. it works like a charm, is totally unintrusive, and cheap and easy to make.

If you want to know more, catch me on MSN (graceless_me AT hotmail.com) or catch me on email - grace.calmaAThomemail.com.au

Grace

Yes you can, provided enough water is passing through it. This will be dictated by the pump's power, and also how tightly the shell grit is packed. If it is too small a size, it may pack down too tightly and restrict the passage of water.

I believe limestone sand will do a better job of buffing the water and it can be purchased at a larger even particle size which would also facilitate the water's passage.

Craig

Archived