GT.......FEEDING

Aidos

I was just wondering wat insects i can put into the tank to feed my GT.....

He is only very small about 8cm

He is in with 4 clown loaches who are all bigger then him except1 which is the same size....and a red tail shark.

I just added that incase the insects may make the other fish sick.

So yea wat insects can i feed him (the GT) and do i feed then alive or dead?

yep, definately get a woodie (little wingless cockroach) breeding setup happening, or a box of crickets from a pet shop. Definately DO NOT feed him anything you find around the house as these often come complete with enough pesticides on their hides to kill your fish very quickly.

for the earth worms is it ok to just dig them up from out the backyard? Cause thats the only place that i can think of where to get them.

for the earth worms is it ok to just dig them up from out the backyard? Cause thats the only place that i can think of where to get them.

You can buy boxes of earthworms fairly cheaply from most nurserys.

hey just feed him anything you want! If he doesnt like it he'll leave it and you can scoop it out.

I have 2xoscars, 2xJD's and 4x chocolates and they get moths, worms, slater beetles, crickets, just about anything actually and they have been for a while with no side effects except really nice colours of course!

good luck and have fun!

Luke. thumb.gif

i think earthworms from the garden will most likely be fine,drop them in a very shallow cup of water to purge them. when they look like they have most of the soil out of the body you can feed them.

just one last thing. would i be able to grap those slatter things. the ones that curl up into a ball when u pick them up? cause we have heaps of them under rocks in the garden are they good for him to eat?

Geeze I can't believe so many people are so confidently just suggesting that picking up bugs from round the house is going to be fine. Sure it will be alot of cases. But you would want to be sure that you know exactly what your neighbours are using along fencelines and when they have recently been using professional pest control. Not to mention all the nastys that bugs can pick up which will kill your fish but dont harm the bug. All for the sake of feeding a GT some live insects. Sure they will appreciate them. But the 500 or so GT's I currently have dont seem to mind their flake and pellet foods with an occasional frozen treat.

Good luck thumb.gif

Guest african-au

i agree with ducksta i wouldn't risk anything in the back yard

there are heaps of good flake & pellets & frozen available & for the treats you can buy meal worm,woodies & crickets

good luck

chris thumb.gif

hey aidos,

while i agree with the others to a degree, if you know you're property is safe and everything just go for it, seriously I bet you cant find anyone who has had a fish die on them from feeding them a contaminated insect.

As for the slaters, fish love them, and they actually live for a fair while under water. its pretty cool watching the fish find the ones that get to the bottom and smashing them.

like i said before just be careful and sensible and have fun!

cheers, Luke. wink.gif

Luke,

just on your comment of not being able to find anyone who has killed a fish, well here is one. when I was much younger I managed to kill one of my large americans with a dead insect i fed to it. went from perfectly healthy to perfectly still in about a day. after that I never again fed an insect to my fish. any live food I feed I either breed myself, or get from a source I can 100% trust. just not worth any risk.

Never feed them dead insects.

Admittedly they are easier to catch. cool.gif

But they were probably the victim of surface spray or another pesticide.

I have always fed my fish moths and flys, and crickets.

I do have reservations about worms though I think they are more likely to pick up herbisides and pestiscides.

I aso would not feed them cockaroaches because they have strong immunity to surface sprays.

American cichlids live off these bugs in their natural habitat.

You can put them in a chinese food container for a day or 2 and if they still look healty feed them off.

Its always a risk but just use common sence.

THank fellas. it looks like im going to the pet shop soon to buy some crickets to breed. they keep the crickets for the scorpions but i think they should be fine.

Oh and a GT is a GREEN TERROR

Archived