Datnioides (Tiger Fishes)

marshy

Hi All...

Just signed up in this forum.

I am currently residing in Singapore and am looking to migrate over to Australia in the near future.

I would like to be able to bring my beloved fishes over to Australia but not too sure if its legal down under.

Does anybody know if I can import in the following fishes on my own?

Pending quarantine of course....

Siamese (Thick Bar) Tiger - Datnioides Pulcher

Indo Tiger - Danioides Microlepis

New Guinea Tiger - Datnioides Cambelli

American (Silver) Tiger - Datnioides quadrifasciatus

North Thailand (Thin Bar) Tiger - Datnioides undecimradiatus

no you wouldnt be able to bring over your Datnioides as im 99.9% sure none of them are on the import list. there are very strict regulations in australia and even thought they are here, they arent able to be imported legally.

I would stay in singapore just for the range of fish aro's, catfish, odd balls! all very rare and expensive in aus.

Thanks for the info bro.

I have seen the "List" and noticed it is only listing cichlids.

I'm pretty sure the aussie government aren't bothered to update the list.

Is it anyway possible to actually make a submission for import approval?

No harm trying right?

Guest african-au

hello marshy;

no chance!!!!!!!!you will not be able to bring your fish unfortunetly australia is extremely tight with fish entering the country,,,

but i can assure you,,you will be able to find what you want meeting the right people offcourse!!!! even some of our LFS stock them in a back room! clap.gif

siamese tigers are available here now & also american silver!!!!

i just bought the last 2 of each!!! tongue.gif

what state in australia will you live?

cheers

chris

sydney

hello marshy;

no chance!!!!!!!!you will not be able to bring your fish unfortunetly australia is extremely tight with fish entering the country,,,

but i can assure you,,you will be able to find what you want meeting the right people offcourse!!!! even some of our LFS stock them in a back room! clap.gif

siamese tigers are available here now & also american silver!!!!

i just bought the last 2 of each!!! tongue.gif

what state in australia will you live?

cheers

chris

sydney

I understand about them being tight about it and all.

Question is. Being tight may not mean impossible. Its just whether they want to look into the possibility of allowing it.

Has anyone (LFS or individual) actually tried apllying for such import permit?

i dont actually fully understand the process, but it is somethinig along the lines submitting an application, then the government will access the species, if there is the slightest chance it could become feral the would reject the submission.

i think its a long process and costs quite abit of money? if you really want to know ask in the general section about adding fish onto the list someone is bound to know the answer.

As for aro's there is pretty much no chance, as there is a native aus species, also because they are cites protected (even though they are being commercially bred).

african au- yes you can get them but as you defineately would know at a price! silver aro in aus approx $400 now if you can find one, compared to the lucky singaporeans au$5 ish?

in a summary there's alot of fish here just need the contacts and alot of cash!

Guest african-au

our own australian arowana is exported (saratoga jardini)

once it has been exported it can never return!!!

thats why the black market is huge in rare natives or exotic fish!!

if you really want something------just pay for it just like everybody else does.

i dont mind paying for something i want!!!!

thats why its my hobbie clap.gif

cheers

I think the point might be that he already has them & is attached to them, I know I wouldn't want to give up some of my fish. wub.gif

I think the point might be that he already has them & is attached to them, I know I wouldn't want to give up some of my fish. wub.gif

You hit the spot bro.

Anyways, I am quite resigned to having to leave my Dats behind and try and find new ones in Aussie Land.

Does anyone know of a good LFS in Adelaide where might have some?

I dont think you could have picked a state with stricter regulations around aquariums. Most of the "illegal" cichlids we have which in other states are overlooked and allowed to continue, in SA they are confiscated and owners penalised. Poor Adelaide...

Maybe the Dats will stay in Singapore but there are many native Aussie tank busters. Some that i'm sure you'd never have seen before?

So maybe you will discover something new when you move.

Oh, and let me be the first to welcome you! It's always nice to have another aquaholic in the country!! smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Datnioides are deffinately illigal if not on the noxious species list...

Ducksta, couldn't agree more mate! my little one's growing steadily. thumb.gif

It's pretty funny releasing feeders into that tank (a jack and two crazyfish)

Oh the carnage that ensues... woot.gif

Mick

Archived