Breeding Hongi

reesy1

Im pretty happy today as one of my hongi has a mouth full , the male has been displaying non stop. I was about to give up and buy a holding female so at least i knew i had one, but now dont hav too ;)

Can someone tell me how long they hold growth rate for and any other personal tips that may not be on the net ???

Ive bred a few species with success and learnt little hints but never hongi so any tips or help would be great . I have a couple of fry tanks up and running so should be good.Thanks in advance for any advice :(;)

Hi Reesy,

L. hongis are good holders and will hang on to their babes full term. I've never had one spit in the net or whilst I was trying to catch them. I always put them in fry savers (floaties) to ensure max. yield, however if your tank is well rocked up, you should be able to save some.

I agree that there are no "special" tips to take note of when breeding this species.

merjo

I've been breeding hongis for a long time now. My hongies holding well. I strip the females after 13-14 days at that time the fry are fully formed.

If it is the first holding for your female, it could she might spits the egg, but that happens to all mouth brooding cichlids at the beginning. Don't worry, once they start to breed they won't stop.

Archived