and a few snaps from this evening :)

sab

took these this evening:

whole tank (which appears to have a bit of gravel in it, but its mostly been pushed up by the digging male hongi and cobalt blues! smile.gif

user posted image

male cobalt blue

user posted image

what you looking at?

user posted image

Cobalt blue and female hongi

user posted image

cobalt blue juvenile (about 35mm long)

user posted image

female hongi and e yellow

user posted image

and again

user posted image

i hope you all like! smile.gif

thanks for the comments Sarah! smile.gifsmile.gif

It was worth the wait I am sure - if not, I apologise hehe! wink.gif

You must get broadband in the new place when you move!

oh I forgot to give the tank specs... the tank is a standard 4 footer (180litre) and has been set up since october 2003.

cheers

Steve

Yep... Baz is correct!! They are two long airstones at the back of the tank. I shot it with slightly longer exposure as I didn't use the flash for the tank shot!

thanks for the comments too! smile.gif I'm really chuffed with how the tank has turned out too!

cheers

Steve

arj> I seriously wish I had the room! sad.gif

A larger tank is definately in the cards tho down the track (if I ever move to a larger place)... a 5 footer or a 6 footer should suffice nicely! smile.gif

steve

hey thanks for the kind words folks! smile.gif

Matt> I use a Canon G2 4mp, but use an additional lenses that I bought - A wide angle that works pretty well for close up shots too. I believe there is a macro lense I can buy too, so am looking into that. I believe the G2 is 4x optical zoom and 5x digital or something like that! LOL!

I use the manual setting mostly, and play around with the aperture and shutter speed - but find a low setting of f2.8 works well and gives a sense of depth. For those that are a little confused by F stops and apertures... The lower the 'F' number the wider the aperture, keeping the main subject in focus, whilst blurring background. The higher the 'F' number the smaller the aperture, gaining an increase of focus from front to back - so probably better for larger faster moving fish to have a slightly higher aperture number to ensure the whole fish is in focus (but you will need a slower shutter speed as less light is getting in the camera)!

F2.8 gives a bigger hole, giving you more light and therefore you can use a faster shutter speeds - it gives less in focus tho.

I usually use a fast shutter speed of aroun 1/500.

I also rely on a manual setting for focus, I pick a point in the tank and manually focus on that and wait for teh fish to come into view! I find food helps to entice them out! LOL!

I use a hand held flash too, that is connected to the hotshoe on the camera via a cable and over rides the cameras own flash (so that doesnt fire). I can then play around with positioning the flash for most dramatic effects... usually over the top through the cover glass.

The trick is to have some time up your sleeve, be patient and take heaps of photos! I usually take 80 odd for maybe 10 good ones!

For further reading start here for some good tips!>>

Aquarium photo tips

That should be a start! smile.gif

cheers

Steve (aka sab)

Sab

Great shots as always. clap.gif

Thanks for sharing those photography tips. I might have a go again with the camera this weekend. It seems that everytime I try to take decent photos, I get frustrated after a while and just stick to hanging out with the fish. dry.gif

Cheers

Paul

Archived