Blue Gourami? Unknown fish

PSi4EVA

Hi,

I purchased this fish today for my planted community tank consisting of :

5 x Neon Tetras

4 x Silver Dollars

2 x Dwarf Gouramis

5 x Guppies (2x M 3x F)

It was sold to me as a Blue Gourami for $12 from LFS, but I've had Gouramis before and they look quite different. I have looked through the pciture archives and fouund similar looking fish, but was hoping that someone with more experience would be able to tell me exactly what I have and the suitability to my commun. tank.

Thankyou in advance,

Scott

fish_id.jpg

It's an african cichlid and I would recomed getting it out asap or you won't have the rest of the fish in your tank to long (not to mention the differece in the required water conditions). As for the lfs thats a discrace ;) selling that as a gourami, I would return it and ask for a refund and in future go to a shop that knows the difference!

Man that is terrible, yea its not a gourami its a Psudotropheus lombardoi (Malawi cichlid). Like most cichlids they have additude and aren't compatible with gourami. And you may find that your Neons dissapear, although they cant fit them into there mouths they may still kill them.

Anthony ;)

Thankyou for all your replys, I'm looking into the specific requirements of it atm. If that pans out ok, I might still keep him cause I kinda fell in love with the little guy. Seems fine with the Silver Dollars, and hasn't really gone near any of the other fish. Its a 4ft tank. As for the neons. They come they go. ;) I'd rather end up with Cardinals anyway.

Thanks once again,

Scott

Oh by the way it looks like a female, males are bright yellow or have muddy yellow look and females are blue. Water conditions 7.5-8.5ph, hard water (not sure exactly) temp 26 Oc, i dont think you'll be able to keep her in there long, as when she establishes a territory she will become very defencive of her area. Due to the high Ph conditions they prefure i don't think its a good idea to keep her.

Anthony ;)

HhHah

As for the neons. They come they go. I'd rather end up with cardinals anyway

What makes you think the Ps. lombardoi can tell the difference between them. Im sure in his little mind he is going "ohh that one has more red down the bottom so I wont eat him".

Not bloody likely.

hehehe lol :D I see your point. I'll see how it goes, but I think I might have to get rid of her; in the long run anyway.

What I'm really after is that "big" fish that stands out from the rest of the occupants of the tank. One that is kind of "that special fish". Considering our water is pure rain water, perhaps I might be more suited to a Discus, but on that same note they require a higer temp. Maybe a Black Ghost Knife, he would stand out and not cause chaos?

Any suggestions, ideas, comments; much appreciated.

Cheers,

Scott

If you want a BIG fish that is not gonna eat your other community fish, go for a gibbiceps or a common pleco.

They'll grow to 60cm (in a big enough aquarium) and look very cool. Plus they keep the tank clean, and won't eat your plants.

:^:

Thankyou all for your replys and suggestions, i have looked up those mentioned, and must say, the Pleco looked very attractive. Esp, black / white striped variations. I would still like to get the Black Ghost Knife. I rang the store down in Sydney where I would be getting these fish and they said they would be happy to trade in the Cichlid. My only other question would be, can a Pleco and a BGKF live in a 4ft tank harmoniously?

Cheers,

Scott

Hi guys,

Thanks, I've got a pretty good idea what I'll be looking for now. I'll be taking the Cichlid down to Sydney with me to "trade-in". I'm just curious, what would realistic trade - in price be for a 10cm female Malawi cichlid (Psudotropheus lombardoi). The store I bought it from is a litttle "funny" so to speak about trading fish; so I'll be taking my business elsewhere.

Cheers,

Scott

Thats what I thought at first, but then after finding some fish I really want in Sydney, I asked them about trading it in to them, and they are willing to pay twice what I paid. The "Blue Gourami" was $12 :B I'm happy, but annoyed I have to stuff around now, instead of trying to enjoy a hobby thats meant to be peaceful, dammit :D

Cheers,

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

I traded in a 12cm male lombardi and a 3cm cobalt blue both for $15 at a store (sydney) and i was happy with that. Considering you can buy a 12cm male lombardi for about $15 maybe even less elsewhere, i wouldn't expect more than $5 for the lombardi female.

Archived