Black Ghost knife Fish

Michael

How'dy All

are there many members here breeding BGKF...I heard there are few people breeding them in Qld...I cant find any info of the net about breeding them could someone give me a bit of info on breeding them like : Water Con's, Size Tank bred in. things like that..any info would be great. :D

well i can tell ya tank size "a big one" about 1500+Litres, i have only herd of people breeding them accidently in there big community tanks. I think ya basicaly buy a heap of them and hope for the best...lol. I know they need slightly acidic water about 6.5 i think. Females are smaller than males (still not entirely accuarate).

Anthony ;)

Yea ive since found that they can breed in as little as 2ft. The original owner of bayfish has a breeding setup with several tanks with only a pair in each tank. There must be a secret to it and i dont think people will give up that secret very easily.

Anthony :p

Breeding them is no harder then any other fish,

the trick is to find and seperate the eggs as they are egg scatterers.

Size of the tank isn't important, obviously the bigger the better but even 2ft works.

a well conditioned pair that are compatible should do the job.

hopr this is helpful

regards Karen

:D No hormones needed, just a mature compatable pair, plenty of good moderately soft slightly acid water, plenty of food like a ball of black worms in front of thier noses 24/7 and a suitable method of saving and collecting the nonadhesive scattered eggs.

Alan

Hi Alan,

If you had a tank with suitable decor for ghosts and used java moss as a spawning "medium", would you be able to lift it out and hatch/raise babes in another tank? Or, would it be preferable to remove the adults and leave the java moss in the spawning tank? :B

merjo

Alan may do it differently but I found that java moss works also wadding or mops but taking the parents out is the best way, bearing in mind that they don't lay all their eggs in one day.

the fry are very small and see through like glass elvers

Mind you its been more then 10 years since I have bred these little fellas but I don't think they would have changed their breeding habits in that time.

cheers Karen

• 3 weeks later...

Micheal,

I too have searched the net in the hope of finding out how to breed Black Ghost Knife fish. Everything that I have found out is in the general pages of the Qld cichlid forum pages. It covers everything that I have been able to get info on through my research and from that of breeders not only here in Qld but from my trips to Ecuador as well. It is very comprehensive in it's detail with it's content being verified by a few breeders. If you or anyone else is interested in it as I said it is on the Qld cichlid forum, if you can't get on there drop me a line here and I will rewrite it for the members of this forum.

Cheers,

Bryce.

Archived