Geo Liquid

benno

Ive seen a product in shops called geo liquid. I was wondering as i am setting up a new tang tank will this be all i need to add to the water to keep it good quality for the cichlids i will be purchasing. thank you Benno :wub

i cant comment on what GeoLiquid does do...

but it doesnt dechlorinate water.

apparently there is different info leaflets in differnt GeoLiquid packs, the latest one is apparently more accurate about its ability, and how long it takes, to remove Chlorine.

Hi,

I also use it (and have done for years). I find that it is a good indicator of the health of my tanks too ie. the longer it takes the white cloud to disappear, the worse the water quality.

Also I had some fronties once that wouldn't stop scratching no matter what I treated them with. When I added the geoliquid it stopped them scratching. I guess it all depends on what other substances you are using (ie. water conditioners, rift lake salts etc).

Whether it is an adequate dechlorinator or not - I don't know. I never had a problem using it for this task, but then maybe I didn't do a large enough water change for it to matter :8

You will undoubtedly find differing opinions!

merjo

Be sure to shake the bottle well !!! I was wondering how my water was supposed to go cloudy when the Geo liquid was coming out of the bottle crystle clear........then i realised i had to shake the bottle........ ;)

I have been using it for about a month or 2 now(trial only) and can't really say good or bad about it. Don't really see any difference in my tanks.

Lata

Matt

I've been using it on 24 x 20 x 12 tank as a test for about six months with a population of gourami, serpae tetras, etc and a lot of plants.

It made the water go reasonably cloudy first time and then not so much. The water is crystal clear, the parameters are nice (Ammo = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate <=5~10).

The effect became more pronounced after a couple of months. In the early stages the nitrogen cycle went all over the place but not dangerously so. I would have my doubts about it as a dechlorination agent in a large water change scenario, but as an ongoing thing with 10 - 25% weekly changes it should be adequate.

I'm happy enough with it. It's less expensive than some of the other snake oils. :D

Cheers - OziOscar.

I'm having a problem with phosphate in my Tropheus tank. I tested and got a reading of 3ppm. I put in geo liquid, waited for it to go clear, tested for phosphate, and got a reading of 3ppm! I did 2/3 water change, and the phosphate reading went down to .5ppm.

Nothing beats a water change.

Craig

Hi,

I wasn't aware that geoliquid was supposed to combat phosphate levels. Is there something written about use as a phosphate reduction agent that I haven't read? :huh:

merjo

A friend uses it on marine tanks and tells me that reduces phosphate levels there, and perhaps it is an assumption on my part, but assumed that it also did in fresh water tanks. Am I wrong, if so please inform :huh: .

Craig

Has anyone done any side by side testing between a tank with GeoLiquid, and one without? If you really want it to be truely unbiased, have someone decant the GeoLiquid into a different container, and have another similar container of just water, and see if you can pick the difference without the person who knows which is which telling.

hey Benno,

for what my opinion is worth, I think that it (Geoliquid) does no harm and it has made my fish all much happier (Africans and Americans), or perhaps this is just a placebo effect for the purchaser :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would still err on the side of caution and use a water ager though, I'd rather add a little water ager than kill my most important investment (the fish).

cheers,

Peter

Hi Guys -

This thread could get a bit nasty - so I'm going to close the topic.

If you want a water ager use Prime or a similar product from Wardley, Sera etc. As far as I am aware Geoliquid does not do remove chlorine or chloramine.

On the geoliquid front. This is not a product that is endorsed by the SCP.

Archived