Male or Female?

Kribbie

Hi all,

I've got a 8cm BN which looks like sort of a male to me...but I'm not 100% on its sex since it got only small bristles around its lip but also got a few longer bristle at the tip of its nose. Here's a pic which explain everything:

user posted image

So is this BN a male or female?

Thanks,

Heidi smile.gif

i say its a male.

reason: the centre starting to develop bristle from the foto i can see.

{female can have bristle too but only around the edge of mouth part}

a few more weeks u can clearly see more bristle develop.

Alan_au your thought?

Cheers

Disregarding the bristles for the moment and going by the length and robustness of the first ray (spine) in the pectoral fin, it's a male. female have noticably shorter more slender pectoral spines.

Viewed from above they also have a different head shape.

Now to the bristles. most females in my collection have now bristles at all, even large older girls. How ever I have seen others that do have 2 , some times 4 very fine whiskers on the lip margin. Never up the nose though !! Secondly, the bristles on the fish in the pic are too "fleshy" for a female and you can just see one bristle starting to branch.

I vote male.

Alan

I have never witnessed females with bristles up the nose; around the lip (jaw..yes) they get single, unforked bristles. The one in the pic. clearly has a nose bristle that is beginning to fork, therefore my vote is male.

merjo smile.gif

Great! Thankyou so much, very appreciate for all the help from you guys. wub.gif

Now I'm pretty sure it's a male! LOL.gif So..hmm..one more question, do you think that he is ready to breed? Or he's still abit young atm (he is exactly 8cm)?

Once again, thankyou so much! smile.gif

Should be ready, or at least nearly ready to breed at that size, but considering the lack of normal bristlage, he may not be sexually mature yet.

HTH,

Andy.

Give him a try, he may be up to it, but i wouldn't be too suprised if he isn't yet.

Have you got any females with him ?

You need a cave for the females to lay their eggs in, and the male will guard them.

Have a look at the Bristlenose profile on the SCP site.

Bristlenose Profile

HTH,

Andy.

Thanks again, Andy. blush.gif I haven't got any female with him and he's the biggest BN I've got at the moment, all my other BNs are way too small to breed yet..I'll look around and see if I can get a ceramic cave for him and hopefully will setup the breeding tank soon....but I also believe that he's not mature enough to breed yet either...

Thanks,

Heidi smile.gifsmile.gif

I tried this morning actually, but I'm a bit of a spaz with the camera, it looked like a chunk of driftwood (the fish) sitting on another chunk of wood (wood), next to a shiny thing (steel ruler) laugh.gif

This guy has just plain eaten potential mates up to 10cm. Its like, 'get out of my cave, or i will chew your head off' and he does... I put another girl in with him recently, about 9cm. She is doing well, but no signs of spawning. I think maybe he is too old, despite never having spawned dry.gif

Archived