mosquito larvae

aymenz

hey guys......

i was wondering every how long can u feed mosquito larvae to the fish.... ?????

can u feed them every day ? and how many times a day is poosible ??????

i have heaps of them..... :)

are they better than bloodworms ?????? or the same benefits ????/

can i replace them with bloodworms and brine shrimps ?????/

thx in adv

c ya

:^:

Hey aymenz,

mossie larvae im pretty sure you can feed them just the same way you feed brine shrimp, bloodworms etc..

It will have the same nutrience as live food but difefrent foods have diferent amounts of protien.

Yes they are a good source of food but i dont suggest feeding it instead of brine shrimp since brine shripm is alot better!

thx richard...

i'll make sure to feed them good fod :B

by the way do u know anyone selling a 3 footer with stand ???

thx in adv.

c ya

ive found them to be a great food for fry. I would get ten standard sized buckets and 3 quater of the way fill them up. I would then putem out side for a week or two and i would then hav enough to feed my fry for uite a few weeks. You will hav to put them in the fridge so they slow down and dont turn into mozzies too quickely.

I feed mossie larva to my bettas all the time, and at least half the time the get em, the rest of my fish share the spoils, i think they are infinitely better for fish than bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp. They are live, fresh and as far as i know don't carry parasites, could someone yay or nay me on this one! They really only satisfy smaller cichlids though, but all my americans love em.

They are cheap, good for my fish and they LOVE 'em.

To digress a moment, as I realise we are talking about live wrigglers;

Daphnia is only as good as what is in their stomach. Dependant on how long they sat before being frozen in a commercial situation, will dictate how much benefit they are to your fish. If they sat around too long, they empty their stomachs, and with no new food source for them it remains that way. I expect that frozen brine shrimp would be similar.

The advantage live wriggler have over frozen brine shrimp or daphnia, is that they can go straight from outside container to the tank, with their full tummies. I don't think brine shrimp is better than wrigglers, all is live food to a fish, and both will make variety for them.

Keeping wrigglers in the fridge will slow, and eventually stop their growth, and they will eventually die. It is a good way to prolong their usefulness, and stop them hatching out, but be aware that it will also probably reduce their protein value, as they will not be eating in the fridge, and will probably have voided their stomachs buy the time they get to the fish.

I have never heard of wrigglers causing fish bloat, and I have been feeding my fish large amounts for a number of years.

Is a blood worm better than a wriggler? Is a bean better than a carrot? Your mum will tell you to eat all your vegetables, and so it is with fish, if you got both, give them both, and each will have different nutritional values for your fish.

The same answer to your question "is it okay to feed them wrigglers every day?" As long as you feed other foods, give your fish variety.

Wrigglers do not carry parasites for our fish, but keep a watch out for any dragon fly larvae, which will feed on young fish. It would be very unlikely to net one out as they walk around underwater, not a place were your fish net will easily scoop them out.

Craig

Dragonfly larvae! Now they are some cool lookin water bugs! But there is another good water bug to be found, they call them mudeyes down around the snowy, and they have to be one of the premier baits for big trout in the lakes, so i figure they'd be good food for other fish as well, but probly larger ones, they get upto 20mm long sometimes bigger!

Though personally there is a whole zoo of water insects and organisms out there that can be cultivated given the right conditions, or usually pot luck. And it all about variety! scoop a hunk of leaf matter and gunk from a creek or pond and dump it in a small tank, have a look at whats in there and experiment feeding them to a fish (maybe a guinea-pig fish) i always get surprised by something i haven't seen before.

Are there any good books on water bugs and the such, i'm particularly after one specific to Australia?

I put some yeast in the water, and have large numbers of wrigglers. Someone mentioned recently that they put a handful of grass cutting into the water, but I haven’t tried that. I mowed the lawn Sunday (with all this rain, my lawn is growing again- damn), and I put a handful into one of my barrels. So far, the grass is all floating on the surface, I expect it will sink, but I don't know how great this will be for wriggler production.

Just sprinkle say a teaspoon on the surface of your container, and let it sink in it's own time. This seem to be the best way to not get clumps of yeast floating in the water which come to the surface a few days later.

Craig

To encourage mosquitoes to lay there eggs in your container, it needs a high organic content (leaves, lawn clippings, milk,etc all work).

Personally I use lawn clippings in a stocking, this stops the clippings getting scooped up with the larva and fouling your tank. It also provides the organics necesary for the mossies to feed on.

You should be aware that it is illegal in some states to breed mossies, but my Daphne cultures keep getting contaminated with mossie larva. The fish don't seem to mind! :D

Brett

Archived