Breeding Bettas In Big Tanks

Richard

I havn't tried, but i was planning to put some in a pond after i get it finished, i was hoping for a couple of males and 6-10 females.

But in a 3 foot you might get some aggression between the females, i don't know how common it is, but i have one particularly nasty female that has killed two males and a few females.

Do u Guys ever Just Raise all your Fry togetehr in the same big tank?? I know betta's can be aggressive, but if ya have 2 tanks togther with 1 male in each, they eventually ignore each other. So i thought if they were raised togther, they might be Fine. I dont actually breed, just a question.

Grungie

Grungefreak, there is a page/album floating around the web entitled "the betta experiment" and it does exactly what you describe. They do stay together for quite some time, but not indefinately.

worth looking into tho.

But how would you know what fry belonged to what female?

A freind of mine has bred Deltas just last week, went over to his house to take a look and the fry's are tiny, he used a plastic cup and cut it in half upright position. made it like a cave and used some sticktape to keep it in place so the male and female can hide under there and do their thing. The next day or two the fry would appear. He put gravel, in a 20 inch tank, and a heater. I suggest you breed in a fry saver or some thing simular, prblems he had was that the tank can get very dirty if he puts a filter in the 20 inch the fry can get sucked in. If you put it in a big tank they can be very hard to find. Hope this helped.

Hung, price depends on quality. Known bloodlines and genetics of the fish make the price even higher.

A good 'show grade' crowntail from world champ IBC breeders like Henry Yin could cost up to $600 to buy! :o

Whereas the run-off-the-mill crowns with blurr genetic backgrounds can cost anywhere from $5 to buy.

Deltas are relatively 'cheapish' fish nowadays. Deltas are basically culls of HalfMoon spawns or fish from other deltas that have no genetics to throw HM. In a spawn of 200 fish, a tried and tested bloodline of HM bettas from renowned IBC breeders can throw up to 30% HM, a further 30% Super Deltas and the remainder, Deltas. The HM are worth a bundle ($90-$600), the Super Deltas substantially less ($25-$80) and deltas can go anywhere from $8-$25.

Spawning bettas in a large tank becomes a major problem when trying to feed the fry. Imagine 200 fry swimming in a 3ft tank... how much infusoria culture would need to be fed in the first week to feed all the little fish? Because u would need to put quite a lot in to feed the fish, quite a lot of it also gets wasted and just adds to the pollution. Then when the next stage of feeding baby brine shirmp or microworms is upon you, there will be even more wastage and water pollution to feed just a few fry!

Much easier to feed in a small 2ft tank with half the water filled. As the fry get larger, fill up the tank to increase volume and eventually after about 6weeks, u'd need a couple more 2ft tanks to grow up the fry and to jar the males that show up.

Archived