Substrate: Ehfisubstrat

Hi Jamie,

to me it looks like you are comparing apples with apples(sorry Gwenyth dry.gif ) and wondering which tastes better. You are, after all, comparing the two top of the line products rather than a Top V's Cheap alternative.

The two products you are looking at are the best of the best, IME, and the comparison is a hard one too make. Both will do an excellent job with bio-filtration and therefore, maybe the other factors of cost, availability, etc...are important in your descision-making process.

HTH

Hi Parrdog!

Eheim substrate pro is meant to be better than the others because it claims to have a larger SA for bacterial colonisation. I use it in my filters but in all honesty can't tell if it is any better. But i know it is quite expensive. U get a free box when u buy the Eheim Prof II 2028.

Dave

plus you have to replace it, i reckon I would only use it in a canister in a marine tank or a very high waste tank, and even then you'd have to use it in large amounts tongue.gif

its very good IMHO to us in low volume filters like eheim canisters, where cost per litre of filtration space is very high...

Yep...I'm with Jim on that one. If you have the cash and need a large amount, buy the large bucket as it works out to be heaps cheaper than the Eheim matrix wink.gif

merjo smile.gif

I use Sera Siporax in my filters, it is a ceramic quartz glass like Ehfisubstrat but in a ceramic ring style, it provides as good a colonisation area and has a better water disbursion through the cannister than Ehfisubstrat & you never have to change it.

Guest Gutty

What are normal prices on these 2 items ?

Just an FYI for anyone interested, i've found Majestics price of $25/litre the cheapest Matrix around.

If anyone knows of a better price i'd be interested to know.

Lata

Matt

Contrary to Ehime’s claims that one needs to replace Ehfisubstrat, I have used it for years, with no ammonia/nitrite issues. I know of a professional retail aquarium who has also used it for years, with out replacement, with no issues. At worst, you may need to clean it in aquarium water to remove dirt. I believe Ehime’s claims of Ehfisubstrat needing periodical replacement are based on their requirements for staying in business. I’m sure that Ehfisubstrat does lose some effectiveness as time passes, but I am equally sure that if you have enough Ehfisubstrat in there, the lose will not be relevant to maintaining the tank’s continued cycling.

In regards to the difference between Ehfisubstrate, and Matrix. The prime difference between the two is that as Matrix has a larger particle size, it is reputed to have an effect on the tank’s nitrate. Being of a larger size, the outer areas are colonised by aerobic bacteria, which strip out the oxygen, and by the time water passes through to the centre of the Matrix, it is devoid of oxygen, which allows anaerobic bacteria to exist, and feast on the nitrates.

Also, due to the size difference of the two, sometimes one is better than the other dependant on where it is going to be used. That is, for example, you can pack more Ehfisubstrate into a canister filter that you can with Matrix.

Craig

Archived