Power Failure

stagfest

Ok...it could have not been a worst time for a power failure, I just purchased some new fish ( thanks Robert smile.gif ) and power went out...no lights, no thermometer, no filter and new fish just settling in...i freaked out...lucky power was back on at 12:00, so had to prime the filter and then snap!!! the two hooks holding the impeller in place snapped off!!! had to glue the dudE down and wait till this morning to get the filter started...will this effect the fish in anyway having the filter not running for several hours??

You will loose some of the filter bacteria so check the fish after a few hours for distress signs

Use a test kit if you have one and have some Seachem Prime handy

So long as the tank is not heavily stocked I don't think you should have a prob

Power outs suck blush.gif

L2H

We lost power here for 11 hrs the other day, and there were no casualties smile.gif

This is a better time of year for your fish to be without power as their demand for oxygen is much higher when the water heats up in summer.

Your filter should not need to be primed after a power failure (assuming it was already running). What kind is it?

Monitor the ammonia/nitrite levels and if they start to rise too high then you might need to add some Prime directly to your tank in an emergency.

But you should be fine as long as you don't do a major water change in the next couple of weeks.

Your filter should not need to be primed after a power failure (assuming it was already running). What kind is it?

Its an eheim 2217...i have to prime it everytime i turn it off...or power goes off???

Archived