Pelvicachromis subocellatus

MSC

Hello :-)

I am a new keeper of this exquisite West African species. Can anyone help me with identifying the possible location variant. Any help would be greatly appreciated. As anyone interested in these wonderful fish would know, information online is scarce.

pvsubpair.jpg

subocellbreeding.jpg

subocellatusbreeding3.jpg

subocellbreeding1.jpg

femalebreedingcolours.jpg

My apologies for some of the poorer quality pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou in advance.

Mike.

Hi,

I believe that the kribs are either P. subocellatus, P. pulcher or P. taeniatus - my leaning is towards P. subocellatus due to the breeding colouration of the female. Also the longitudinal band of the male is very faint. During breeding this band can disappear altogether.

Hope this helps. Nice photos by the way! :rolleyes:

merjo

Pelvicachromis subocellatus 'Matardi' I'm pretty sure, tho my females go more a cherry red than that pinkish red. The mat black caudal and head area is distinctive in this variant tho.

Melbourne Bill ??? what do you think

Alan

Matadi or Moanda would be the most likely but i didnt get a chance to see the Moanda's in full colour.. The matadi's i had the female had a fair bit of blue showing in the body area and was a dark cherry red to the point it was almost purple..

Thankyou all for you responses. The reason for the "pinkish" glow, could be the Grolux tube on the tank, I will swap it out for a 10K Aquastar, and see if it changes the colour any. :D

I really appreciate everyone taking the timeout to reply. I'll take another picture with the different tube, and get back to you all.

Thanks once again. :)

Nice pics!

Have they spawned for you yet?

If you have trouble with getting them to spawn wait til there's a big storm (summer's great for this) then do a big water change with slightly cooler (NOT COLD) water, this sends many river dwelling fish into a spawning frenzy as I'm sure many of the other users here will attest.

Mick

Thankyou for the confirmation. "Matadi" it is.

Rumpig, they have been (well the female has been) displaying for about a week. So fingers crossed it will be soon. I have had them for about 3 weeks now.

If they don't spawn, I will try your suggestion.

They are quite a shy species and don't always come out to say hello, when they do, I will attempt to get a clearer picture of the female in spawning garb.

The male has dug himself a nice little cave under a rock, and spends most of his time in there, especially when I am in the room and the tank light is on, he ventures out occasionally to find the female, and give things a general checking over. I do hope they breed, I think it will be great.

:D

Archived