Catfish for ca tank

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good catfish for a 200L tank with 1 nicaraguan cichlid, 1 jack Dempsy and 1 convict, or dither fish. I know I'm pushing the limits of my 200 litre tank but may move on a cichlid, they are about 5cm each now and will see how they colour up. Jack and Nic are my faves.

On 3/21/2024 at 6:35 PM, CICHLID KANE said:

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good catfish for a 200L tank with 1 nicaraguan cichlid, 1 jack Dempsy and 1 convict, or dither fish. I know I'm pushing the limits of my 200 litre tank but may move on a cichlid, they are about 5cm each now and will see how they colour up. Jack and Nic are my faves.

Do you want the catfish for clean up or as a feature fish?  Good old bristlenose are hard to beat for algae clean up, common plecos or gibbiceps will be able to handle living with your cichlids but won't do much algae eating or clean up

Hey Skippy, feature fish maybe, I have added some mollies so far so good as dither fish, shaky at first but now they seem ok, am thinking either pleco or cuckoo catfish, the latter might be more active, can't stick with c American theme with catfish unfortunately 

Gibbeceps and common plecos grow large

L001 same family as the Gibbicep be grows smaller

depending on how much you want to spend will dictate other options

Ancistrus are the starting point with common bristlenose also in caliico or albino in short or longfin,

Peppermints, Orange spots and L144 blue eyes from there they get dearer

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2024 at 6:20 PM, CICHLID KANE said:

Is this forum basically dead

Not entirely dead but on life support.  It's not the vibrant community it once was, I suspect a lot of the discussion and questions that once were here now happen on Facebook.  It's a shame because the information posted on Facebook groups isn't as accessible and easily searchable in the same way as forums like this are.

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2024 at 10:34 AM, CICHLID KANE said:

Mollies have been smashed, maybe no such thing as dither fish for my tank

The mollies might be a bit slow moving.  Something like rainbowfish or large tetras that are fast swimmers might be a better option.

Thanks Skippy, I think as its only 200L and a tall not long tank......and yes I don't want discus or angels which it would suit more, thinking about building it around the nicaraguan cichlid which is my fave, the rest community types