West African Cichlids

Allan93

I've long wondered about what West African cichlids we still have in the hobby in Aus. Pelvicachromis pulcher, taeniatus, and kribenis as well as steatocranus casuarius, butterkoferi, nanochromis transvestesis and various hemichromis are seen pretty often. I've seen a few around and you do hear the occasion rumor of someone keeping Pelvicachromis subocellatus or steatocranus tinanti, but I was wondering if anyone had heard of any others.

I've was wondering if anyone has kept or has any of the other of the Pelvicachromis species or relatives from their tribe, or if anyone has ever seen any of the riverine lampralogines in Aus?

I can't help with any information about West African cichlids in Australia but I did watch an interesting lecture on Youtube a while ago.  The talk is about fish diversity in the lower Congo river, the lecturer talks about a species of riverine lamproline that lives in very deep sections of the river and is very rarely seen alive. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anomalochromis thomasi - I haven't seen these available in such a long time. Great fish to keep and great at smashing snails.

There appears to have been quite a few different kribensis types coming through lately.