Breeding Angelfish

adamgatt

Hi gang

I picked up a couple bags of Angelfish at the last meeting. I've had great success getting 2 pairs to spawn (they are are it once every 10 to 14 days) but I am struggling to get the fry to survive. My survival rate is an abysmal 10%!

I tried letting the parents raise the first spawns unsuccessfully. They both ate them the next day.
Every subsequent spawn I have been hatching them out in Methylene blue successfully, and once free swimming move them out of the bucket.
I tried raising them in a breeder box, a breeder tray, tried in a 2 foot tank only a 1/4 full, etc but haven't been able to get them to survive.
I feed a mix of live baby brine shrimp, microworms and crushed pellet.

I've never had such a poor survival rate before with anything else that I have bred. Any advice appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey @Skippy.

Sorry I only just saw this post! Yes, those were my angel's on Jason's channel, recorded before I posted this.

Unfortunately their parental care skills haven't improved. I have let both pairs try to tend to their last 3 spawns each, and both pairs eat the spawns as soon as they start to wriggle on the 3rd day.

Both pairs spawned yesterday, I pulled both of these out and into a bucket to hatch myself.

Re raising fry myself, @Link2Hell gave me a good tip to just leave them in the bucket and try raising them there for longer, whilst doing water changes from the parent's tank into the bucket. I had more success with this than I did with my other attempts, but still lost more than I'd like to admit. :( 

For anyone else interested, here's the video: