What types of rocks are best suited for a Tanganyika tank?

MattG_Sydney

Howdy folks,

Very quiet forum these days so decided to ask some questions 😊.

I am looking at doing my tanks up again.  (had the same set up for 3 years or so). What type of rocks best suited for a Tang tank? I have dragon stones in some of mine. But looking at buying some Ryuoh or Canyon stones. I am happy with any other suggestions as well. All my tanks are strictly Tang tanks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers M 

PS - Just started to look at 2 or 3 Feet small display tank for my office room too. More of that to come later. 

I'm no geologist but most types of rock should be fine for Tangs.  Many rocks are inert and have no effect on pH and hardness but anything containing limestone will harden the water and increase the pH, which is ideal for Tangs.

• Like 2

I guess this is probably an unpopular opinion...... I don't really see any benefit (unless you want a great display tank which is probably where you are heading Matt) in spending heaps of money on rocks.    I'd much rather spend the money on the actual fish!   

Since the late 80's when I setup a frontosa tank and my love of Tangs started my first source of rocks for tanks has always been the local landscape supplier.  Usually find a bit of a variety for a great price.   

Cheers,
Jason     

Hi Jason, Thanks for your opinion mate. I know what you mean. This is to upgrade my display tank. My breeding tanks have little to no rocks. I live local to a nice landscaping place (one of the biggest in NSW). I will wonder there and have a look. Thanks for the tip. I can then properly clean it I suppose. Thanks agin. Cheers M 

8B29F0E2-5913-44A5-9B55-8FEF136C93FD.jpeg

Edited by MattG_Sydney
  • Like 1

Hi Matt,

As @Skippy said most rocks are pretty much inert.   Depending on how dirty the rocks are I just give them a good rinse under the tap.   Worst case if there is some mud/dirt after the tap rinse still on them I use an old scrubbing brush and give them a extra clean with that.  I've heard of people even boiling them for a few minutes but I've never gone to that extreme!  

That's perfect that your local is one of the biggest in NSW.  Be interested to find out what sort of range they have.   You might find some good ones.

Cheers,
Jason

• Like 1

Now I know why when I visited the 12 apostles last time there was only 8.   1 of those 4 that went missing is the middle rock in Matt's tank :)   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Now I know why when I visited the 12 apostles last time there was only 8.   1 of those 4 that went missing is the middle rock in Matt's tank :)   

😂.. almost mate 

21 hours ago, adamgatt said:

I use Seiryu and texas holey in my tang tanks. I seem to get a little bump in pH (7.8 tap -> 8.2 tank). I like the way the Seiryu looks.

Hey Adam, I managed to get 16Kgs of Seiryu rocks today! 

I will also pay a visit to the landscaping place soon to see if they have any other types.. 

7 minutes ago, adamgatt said:

Wow, nice haul. Must have cost a pretty penny.

Actually cost me $84 😀 .. Yes it is money for rocks 😆 but I managed to find it cheaper. DM me if you want and I can tell you what I did there ...

• Like 1