My new tropheus setup. Heres the pics

Josh

OK...OK.......I know I said that it would be a 6x2x2 but the deal fell through so I upgraded my tank to a 6x14x20 and used my old stand. Filtration is a via-aqua cf1200 canister...... Here's some new pics without the tropheus but it has some lelupei and a bichardi

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Now I cant wait to get the T. moorii nkonde yellows

Any comments welcome. The camera I used was a FUJI finepixS304. I dont know how old its, as I only borrowed from work today

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Josh

trofius

I am getting ten Tropheus moori nkonde yellow's. The lelupei may stay but not the brichardi

Josh

cool I have had leleeupi in with tropheus before, it can get a bit fiesty between th edonminant male but not too bad, and looks really nice against (I had)dubosi

G'day Josh,

I wouldn't worry about not having the 6x2x2, your fish will love the setup you've got. I was wondering whether you are going to get a bigger light to get some nice algae growth for the little Nkondes to graze on, and are you going to use a power head for good water circulation?

These aren't gripes they are just some things that I was made aware of as I am new with Tropheus as well. Good luck and you are going to love 'em.

Jamie.

hi jamie,

I do have a 6 foot reflector I am repairing at the moment. I there is a fair bit of current coming out of the filter at the moment, but i may add a powerhead later on

Hi Josh!

Your tank looks great! Just needs some Tropheus! How many more weeks to go?

I agree with Parrdog about putting in some internal pumps for circulation. Why don't u try a Resun or Otto internal filter (if u can afford it, it is worth getting!) - get the 2000L/h flow, the Tropheus will love to swim against the current!!!

Will u be adding anymore filtration since i notice u only have one canister filter? U want to keep the nitrate levels below 5ppm. In my 4 by 2 by 2 tank i have 2 Eheims 2217, 1 Professional II 2028 and 2 Otto PF 2000N internal filters( one with a Fluidised bed filter)! In my other tank which is 5 foot i also have a UV filter!!! I think i am overdoing things, but u can never be too careful with Tropheus. But i think the key is to do 1/3 weekly water changes.

I have never kept Leleupis with my Tropheus since they can be quite aggressive once they form a breeding pair (but can't beat a Tropheus!!) and they have different dietary needs. But i guess they can live with just spirulina flakes.

Keep posting pics when u get your tropheus!

Dave

Guest Gutty

IMO a 2000lph powerhead is gonna unsettle alot of that sand.

Filter motors can be expensive !!

If you want more circulation my advice would be to add 2 smaller powerheads of say, 800lph.

just my opinion

Matt

If you can afford it, you would do better with 15 Tropheus instead of 10.

I would increase the lighting to get more algae growing in there, and if the choice is yours, not put Tropheus in there until you have a good crop of algae.

In regards to the above comment of the pump disturbing the sand, just don't have it directed downwards.

Do yourself a favor, and if you haven't already, read Steve's Tropheus page.

Craig

Guest Gutty

Craig, the tank i was refering to is a 6x18x18, using botany bay sand, a Rio 2100 powerhead in there with the fan attachment on and pointing up and along the tank(lots of surface turbulence) i still got little twisters of sand lifting up off the bottom. It created a beautiful natural looking ripple affect on the sand but i simply couldn't keep it out of my filters. No change in the output direction ever fixed this problem. I even stepped down to a 1300lph powerhead, it was much better but still small deposits of sand would turn up in my filters.

That is the only reason i'd reccomend 2 800lph heads instead...........plus 800lph heads are tiny and easy to hide..... wink.gif

Just my experience

Matt

Only a complete idiot would point a 2000lph powerhead down at sand. I'm not that dumb !! zipit.gif

Sorry to bring it up, but isn't it bad to have the sand so thick? I remember a few ppl saying that it should be no more than 10mm. Something about bacteria or something? I may be wrong. Anyone else heard that?

Guest Gutty

Your on the money slotha, but it is actually OK to have it that thick so long as it is turned/churned/de-gassed every few weeks.

Well, I have no problem with all the flow in my tank since i use coral sand instead of fine beach sand. But i can see how it can become a problem. However, i have noticed that Tropheus in particular love to have a lot of turbulence so see what is best for your tank.

Dave

Hi,

Agree with Craig wholeheartedly - 15 a better figure to start off with- but normally suggest as large a colony as you can afford! wink.gif

Seperate territories also great however no where near enough rockwork in my opinion. Usually suggest as close to floor to top with plenty of cover.

Your set up will be fine for small Tropheus - you may want to adjust as they grow. There is also nowhere for fry to hide when you are lucky enough to succeed in spawning them. Your sand substrate or rockwork offers no cover as such so if you are limited in rock availability you may want to place some small piles of pebbles on the substrate for them to hide in.

Other than that good luck with my favourite Africans. biggrin.gif

Cheers

The smooth rocks are a good choice of rocks IMO. They'd be great to build up algae with.

PS I wouldn't share a Tropheus tank with any other species... but that's my personal preference only. It has and does work for other people though.

Cheers

Paul

Archived