Lets set the record straight

Ant

Do you like Ps.Lombardoi or Not  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

if no, can you please give an answer?, we all know they are agro but so are alot of species, so try to give a different reason than their agro factor (un less this is the main over-riding reason)

I believe they have alot of character and are well worth keeping. Although they are one of the most common cichlids they have nice colouration, nice contrast between male and female and they are still a nice colour when they are young, all good reasons to keep them. I love'm!!!!!

Anthony :unsure

They are a top looking fish. They aren’t that agro if kept in the correct environment. i.e. 1 male and 4 female or 2 males and 10 females. Keep the ratio of males to females very high on the female side and aggression will not be so much of a problem.

The only problem I have with these fish is the quality.

Up here in Newcastle there is a number of LFS selling sus lombardoi.

It is so bad I have been tempted to get a colony for myself and offer some quality lombardoi to them apposed to the garbage they have been selling.

Ps.Lombardoi = Ps.lombardoi. :oops:

from what i have seen in various LFS the colour of the Lombardoi is not as as good as what it should be , and i think this would put people off buying them , i dont think they are any more agro then any of the Melanochromis species.

cheers

That was one of the reasons I started breeding them, there are alot of bad quality lombardoi out there. I selected mine carefully and have some nice fish, i am only concerned about one male (who i thaught was female at first) who hasn't developed the bright yellow colouring. Ive got another male that hasn't spawned yet but he seems to be a good quality young male with bright yellow colouring.

Anthony :unsure

Lack of quality, easily accessable and therefore the first cichlid many people get. This leads to them disliking cichlids because they crammed 3 males into a 2 ft with a whole bunch of tetras or something. They just don't spark my intrest

I think they are a beautiful fish, and agree with others that the lack of good quality fish around is their major drawback atm.

I had some very nice lombardoi about 7 years ago, and now wish I had never sold them!

And don't believe the whole agro thing, it's probably been exaggerated by guys over the years who are trying to appear 'cool' by having mean fish. In my opinion there are other mbuna which are equally mean, if not more!

Take Ben's advice guys, it all comes down to sensible fish-keeping. Keep them in the right tank, and the right sex ratio's, and they will be fine.

How could i get some good quality lombardoi, i mean i can only do so much with the colony i have and can only try to improve quality with what i have. I mean the one i have are good but maybe i am blind as to what is a good quality lombardoi. Mine have even thick bars, nice irridecent blue females and one bright yellow male.

Would this male be classed as good quality?

http://groups.msn.com/BettaLoversAustralia...oto&PhotoID=309

I'll try and get some pics of my females and see what you all think.

Anthony ;)

Yep he is better than most. I would be watching his progeny for males with more than one 'egg spot' and keep them also. Try to "up" the quallity of your own stock.

Ps socoloffi is another fish that has deteriorated over the years. To the extent that is difficult to tell male from female in the stock offered these days. What happened to the bright shy blue males with broard black margins to the fins and caudal and 8 to 10 large bright yellow 'egg spots' ringed in black ????

Alan

:D

i have a group, that i bought , from the mini-auction one night and they are great fish ( lucky to get 1 male and 4 females). i have these in my 6foot display tank and have no trouble with aggression, even when breeding.

i think theye are great fish

:wub

josh

It is a shame not more ppl take any care with these fish.

In the past few years the quality has gone down dramatically.

Hang onto them Anthony...you might be the only one with them in a few years.

Thanks people, your comments have been really great, i thaught i was the only one out there that liked them. I just hate it when i hear of people using them as feeders, i just think that its wrong and is working against actually improving the species rather than for it.

Anthony :)

Archived