my lionheads have fry at last

Sarah

thanks Fiona,Anthony and David,

i bought them from my local LFS as a proven breeding pair as they had fry in the tank in the lfs and the male is about 10-12cm and the female is 7-8cm. They are in a 24x18x18 they were in with a pair of egyptian mouthbrooders and a pair of kribs both these pairs i moved this morning. The parents are excellent at taking care of their fry and dad is still chasing the odd bristlenose away laugh.gif i couldnt be bothered fishing them all out,

cheers

thanks Andrea and Ben , im enjoying watching the parents interact with the fry they are so good with them and come night time the mother herds them into the log and they dont come out till the morning , i wish my boys were that easy to put to bed laugh.gif

cheers

Congrats Sarah.

Nice work for first major spawn in Vic. see our state isn't that bad..lol

I am working on a breeding room at moment. just got a decent Digital Cam so will post pics of my current Zebra fry ( boring I know..), and the other batches of fry I have at moment in the growing out tank.

Keep up the good work Sarah and as for the kids. How bout a mallet to the back of the head.. if concerned about wellfare of kids use rubber mallet.. seems plausible..

Damon

thanks Damon,and dont forget to post those pics smile.gif

alas i did find a small dead bristlenose in the tank this morning i think a casualty from dad who fiercely guards his offspring so i hope its a lesson to all my other b/n to avoid them at all cost laugh.gif

Hi Sarah,

Congrats on your Lion Head Fry!! I was overwhelmed with my first lot and the parents are great to watch interacting with their fry.

I can only offer this advice, our household increased by 4 more tanks to accomodate the mating and growing up of this species. I only have 1 pair and they breed every 6 weeks. I was also moving their nest every night so that they would not breed again. Late one night we decided to move some fish around and I moved the Lionhead pair into a tank with other fish and the next morning there were eggs all over their cave. As a result I have my 5th lot of fry and approximately 100 of the little buggers.

Congrats again

Leonie23

thanks Leonie

how do your lionheads get on with other fish mine attack any other fish even the poor bristlenose which i havent been able to catch out of their tank and now they too have fry .

thanks Fins, 40+ fry are excellent and and the parents way too over protective laugh.gif the mother was trying to attack my camera through the glass as i tried to take a pic of them this afternoon laugh.gif , unfortunately the fry are camera shy and every pic is a tad blurry to say the least so i gave up and will wait till they are bigger.

cheers

Archived