Filtration, Lighting and any other advice for a new 6 x 2 x 2 cichlid tank

SophSixx

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not necessarily,,,, a person who buys a standard Holden sedan,,, doesn't think the person who bought a Ferrari got ripped of.

Sometimes expressions are more personal than anything else.

Precision or better quality parts is what increases price, some people like the higher price.

LEDs have come a long way,,,, at the beginning they were quite weak and not that bright,,,,

then they evolved and became much brighter, but the harder working brighter led lost a good part of its lifespan,,,,,

Then they solved the lifespan and now they're brighter than ever with a very long lifespan.

The way I see it, comparing units of the same model class,,, the cheaper ones are closer to the technology of the shorter lifespan and the costly stuff Is the longer lifespan and very bright.

My hope now is that they will live up to my expectation. I researched so many led's over the last 3 weeks and because I really had no real clue as to what I wanted I thought that over kill would be better than buying something and it just being a total disappointment.

$$$ = knowledge

and it costs to learn ...... some pay more, some pay less

if it is in your budget and you like the end result that's all that matters

I had it in my head that the 1 thing I wasn't going to skimp on was lighting ( if it wasn't going to have a sump I would've had my first priority on filtration ) so with all honesty I didn't put a budget on it...Fingers crossed when it's all assembled I can say I made the right choice!

Also 3-4 years later being happy making the right choice when yours is still strong as the day you bought it,,,,,, and possibly other cheaper models having particular part failures (possibly).

But not saying the cheaper stuff can't be good neither.

Holy cow...look at the price on these :shock: 1200 dollars on ebay. Thats one expensive lighting solution.

I must say I got them under that price delivered after speaking to the rep but after reading all the above replies I feel like a complete idiot!

Ah don't stress it, if they do the job and do what you want all good, it's only money, can't take it with you.

Appears to be a strong choice on the light.

Always love seeing optic lens to help improve a great LED. Coupled with a good driver you should see good PAR per Watt.

UV LEDS are expensive which bumps up the price somewhat.

Fun feature of the light is that preset with sunrise-sunset-moonlight, cloud, flash and show. Also you could set up your own program easy in the DIY mode.

Ledzeal are a great company, fully custom orders and LED arrangements straight from China cutting out the middle man.

Don't worry about what some people tell you to buy, end of the day you have something you will be very happy with.

Appears to be a strong choice on the light.

Always love seeing optic lens to help improve a great LED. Coupled with a good driver you should see good PAR per Watt.

UV LEDS are expensive which bumps up the price somewhat.

Fun feature of the light is that preset with sunrise-sunset-moonlight, cloud, flash and show. Also you could set up your own program easy in the DIY mode.

Ledzeal are a great company, fully custom orders and LED arrangements straight from China cutting out the middle man.

Don't worry about what some people tell you to buy, end of the day you have something you will be very happy with.

The only thing that bothered me slightly was that they only offer a 2 year warranty whilst some others offered 3. I am thankful for all of everyone's help and don't really take it that people are telling me what to buy but more so helping me with things I have no clue about :)

I am happy that I bought them and I'll def post pics of the installation of the tank, sump and these lights just after Christmas. I was on a mission to find a quiet pump but the guy at the LFS said he will fix all that up for me...Think I should shoot him an e-mail and ask what brand he is going to use...

What is your budget, the Tunze range are pretty good for their price.

No real limit on this tank, I was looking at the Tunze, Sicce, Hydor, Aqua Medic EcoDrift 15.0 and the Maxspect Gyre...Again it gets confusing as there are so many options.

Wavemakers (and powerheads) are only used in freshwater for a little water circulation and surface agitation for oxygenation. Many tanks dont even need them especially if your tank load (numbers of fish) is not high. Alot of people use them as backup or overkill. They are great, dont get me wrong but my point is that buying an expensive wavemaker is not really going to be any better than a cheaper model for the simple job it achieves. You also need to be mindful of not getting one thats too big and creates a storm in your tank.

I have a Tunze, I don't use it though, but it is strong and quiet, I was going to use it as a backup for surface agitation in my 7 x 2 x 2, if you have a descent pump which you do, no need for the wavemaker, I agree with Chucky?

3000 l/h wave makers which are double headed is the ones I use on all my 6x2x2's,,, and suits them perfect placed at rear top in center with each jet as far as they can be adjusted towards each tank end.

No dead spots in tanks anywhere with no siphoning needed ever,,,,, yet small fish can rest on bottom easy.

I use sunsun with a real handy magnetic back mount,,, the magnetic disc is on outside of glass holding power head against glass on inside.

You'll find them on eBay and are super duper dirt cheap.

Had my 15 x susnsuns running from day I got them,,, no breakdowns and going fierce. :)

3 years on.....

Wave maker advice before I spend a tone on these also??? :wink2:

Hey Soph, why dont you hold off buying this until you have your tank setup and running for awhile.

You may not need a wave maker. Your return pump may be sufficient.

If you find that you need one, then just buy one. It's not a critical piece of equipment to start with.

But sure, that doesn't mean you can't do some research. After all, half the fun of this hobby is getting to play with our toys :happy:

I won't go overboard with the wave maker and have read many ppl use sunsun so will take a look at them. I am planning on stocking with Frontosa and Calvus (sorry to all those who like species only tanks), Still looking at some other suitable tank mates. I also like Venustus and Paratilapia Polleni ( not sure how suitable these would be though).

I like the idea of keeping 1 further down to stir up waste off the bottom...the less I have to use the ladder to get to the bottom of this tank to siphon the better it sounds :)

Don't put the pollini in they're fully risky,,, they do serious damage in seconds,,,,,, if there's a pair of pollini that pair, then the day they pair you'll be sorry,,,, single ones also risky.

A 3000 wave maker at surface will completely keep bottom clean,,, at surface has added benefits of keeping the surface film completeletly broken allowing superb oxygen transfer.

Looks like your going to be a full stock person, so these things are a must.

Fins is correct in what he said for sure,,,, but I haven't seen any 6 foot tank yet with just a cannister filter or two being enough for no dead spots.

The 3000 sunsun is either 12 or 15 watts and is barely nothing to run $ wise.

I like the fish choice, frontosa and calvus would make a great combo. My advice though...both are slow growing fish but the fronosa will eventually outpace the growth of your calvus. If you have the opportunity (like you do) to start off growing fish up from scratch, I'd pick the largest calvus you can get as frontosa will inevitably get bigger and they may turn into fish food. Sometimes adding your desired fish into an established tank can be difficult once you have mature fish roaming around.

edit - also add in lots of nice shells for your calvus to choose and hide in.

Don't put the pollini in they're fully risky,,, they do serious damage in seconds,,,,,, if there's a pair of pollini that pair, then the day they pair you'll be sorry,,,, single ones also risky.

A 3000 wave maker at surface will completely keep bottom clean,,, at surface has added benefits of keeping the surface film completeletly broken allowing superb oxygen transfer.

Looks like your going to be a full stock person, so these things are a must.

Fins is correct in what he said for sure,,,, but I haven't seen any 6 foot tank yet with just a cannister filter or two being enough for no dead spots.

The 3000 sunsun is either 12 or 15 watts and is barely nothing to run $ wise.

I will def take your advice on the pollini ( although they are just beautiful fish ) and will look into the SunSun.

I like the fish choice, frontosa and calvus would make a great combo. My advice though...both are slow growing fish but the fronosa will eventually outpace the growth of your calvus. If you have the opportunity (like you do) to start off growing fish up from scratch, I'd pick the largest calvus you can get as frontosa will inevitably get bigger and they may turn into fish food. Sometimes adding your desired fish into an established tank can be difficult once you have mature fish roaming around.

edit - also add in lots of nice shells for your calvus to choose and hide in.

I have been looking for some decent size Calvus but have only come across some at 6cm. Hopefully after the tank is cycled I stumble upon something a bIt bigger because the Fronts I am looking at are 6 inches.

• 1 month later...

As for the lights, I can't do much atm until tomorrow when I install the app and play around with everything but this is what it looks like as soon as it got filled and plugged the Malibu s400 on.

Will see how we go tomorrow whilst Playing around with the settings!

cant wait to cycle this tank:)

Time to figure out what rocks to put into it.

image.jpg

Archived