Drilling holes in glass

J1mmy

Hi guys, I am located in charlestown, Newcastle and was wondering if someone would be able to give me a hand. I currently have a 6x2x2 and looking to have 4 holes drilled into the bottom of the tank so I can hard plumb my 2 canisters into the tank so I can get rid of the annoying ugly hoses out of the tank as it is my display tank and want to eliminate as many hoses and things as possible.

If anyone has any recommendations or ideas or could help can the please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys!

I got the cheap bits off eBay, and I've drilled at least 60 holes with them 6mm and 10mm glass, haven't cracked any. At the start it was taking me half an hr to get through now takes less than 5mins for 6mm

Wow that's pretty good vadnappa!

Another question, will the fx5 still work to its full capabilities being plumbed into the bottom of the tank? I have a weird feeling about the pressure being forced into the inlet of the filter as they are gravity fed filters.....

any tips vadnappa on cutting, myne just arrived from hong kong. how did u cut your drill time down what was the issue before with slow drill times.

For me this works, to cut a 25mm hole

I have a piece of 70mm x 19mm timber with a hole at one end, just drill a hole slightly larger then what you want to drill the glass, 25mm glass hole = 27-30mm hole in timber.

A rubber washer

And a couple of clamps.

Place the washer over the mark you want to cut, timber on top of washer with the hole directly over the centre of washer, then I slide it to one side so The glass drill bit can push against the side of the timber and will be in the position you want the hole.

Clamp timber to glass, fill timber hole with water and start drilling. Just use the weight of the drill don't push to hard, and don't run the drill flat out. Just nice and slow. The more you do the more you get the feel of how hard and fast you can get away with, the faster and harder you push the quicker the hole will be.

Also slap a piece of duct tape on the other side of the hole, or a towel underneath. Last thing you want is as you finish the hole the piece falls out and cracks the other side of the tank. Especially when your doing one end of a 10mm 6ft tank with a 50mm hole that little sucker will drop with speed.

This should answer your question

http://www.masa.asn.au/masawiki/index.php/Bulkhead

Required Hole Size

The minimum hole size required to accommodate the bulkhead fittings are as follows:

• 15mm/0.5" - 21mm thread OD = 24-26mm hole
  • 20mm/0.75" - 26mm thread OD = 30-32mm hole
  • 25mm/1" - 34mm thread OD = 36-38mm hole
  • 32mm/1.25" - 43mm thread OD = 45-47mm hole
  • 40mm/1.5" - 49mm thread OD = 51-53mm hole
  • 50mm/2" - 61mm thread OD = 63-65mm hole

Rens: No, the mold is just even and has no holes, but I was thinking of drilling holes with my template in it, if it would be worth it...

Daniel: Have you done this, and is it worth it?

Archived