Thorichthys ellioti

pat williamson

Nice fish Pat, look nice and straight!! are they your own strain or have you recently purchased them from elsewhere?

Yanke, the ones i got from Ocean Breeze have grown to breeding size in 2months. they have spawned and i collected the eggs and am trying to raise them. This morning i see they have laid again, i might take them away again once they have developed. The parents look nice and straight as do the others i got from O.B. at the same time, he did say his stock were breeding almost 100% true, i guess time will tell

G'day guys , I am of thinking that the DNA of these fish is not the problem but it is more related to factors during the early period of their life . I know Rusty Wessel is of the opinion temperature is the issue so I will be trying cooler temps to raise the fry .

I was also interested to read an article by Juan Miguel Artigas Azas in the cichlid year book ( 1996) which was about the Thorichthys history /distribution / and taxonomic background . The article stated and I quote

" one should take special care to keep the fry well fed, other wise they will develop permanent deformities " .

So whilst I am not convinced that the food was the decisive factor it does prove that even in the nineties in the USA they had issues with raising these guys without deformities . So good luck and happy to pool resources with whoever is interested in the continuation of these great little fish , regards

Pat.

I also heard water KH causes deformity also.

But I'm convinced it's genetic, I was among the first to have these in oz and bred a lot of them with many trials and observation.

My offspring consisted of this,,,,,,

20% out of all males were deformed.

95% out of all females were deformed.

This tells me it's genetic as traits or deformity can lie in genders and not just alleles (each little genetic make up sector eg, one for spine and one for fins and so on).

I also worked with 4x pairs and some pairs produced less percentage of deformity clearly.

So my findings shows as genetic issues.

Many knowledgable trusted pro's around Sydney though, do say it's environmental, I disagree.

after speaking to Spencer Jack when he was talking at an NSWCS meeting

he said that what is out here is basically the aquarium developed strain and

it most likely came with that genetic problem as it had already shown up in

the US

think it might be a good question to put to Juan Miguel Artigas Azas at the

QLD convention in March seeing he is speaking there with Spencer and Ad

Archived