when wild caught is not right in the hobby

Link2Hell

That's pretty upsetting,,,, extraction without research for the species safe existence.

I was under the impression that almost the entire tropheus specie types are under some degree of threat.

I wonder if Africa itself has any law in place and inspection upon collection fisheries wise.

I know there's paperwork,, but even country law is shonky and corrupt.

Can't just have people coming in from all over the world doing what they like.

Damn shame, didn't even know they existed till now.

Hmmm, well obviously mustn't be as resilient as salt water fish on reefs.

It only takes a small amount of time for salt water fish to recover after closure areas are made.

A problem most don't think of, is the upsetting of a balanced ecosystem becoming out of balance.

If malawi/tang fish don't recover so well (obviously smaller sensitive habitat/ecosystem),,, being such prolific breeders as we have observed, I wonder why they don't recover so well. ??????

Or is it a case of more unregulated hammering on populations than what's actually realized.

If collectors are coming from different countries, is it actually really regulated properly.

Don't forget also these fish are a source of food for the locals,,, even little fish.

The reason they don't recover so well is that the fish are location dependent. Many fish are only found in "small" areas and are easily fished out very quickly.
The locals have fished these fish for a long long time for food, they are not the problem, its the hobbiest who have driven up demand for them.

As a part of the Saulosi release in Malawi, the Stuart Grant conservation fund also contributed money to making anti-netting devices and had them placed in various over fished and protected fishing areas in the lake. This is stopping people from fishing them all together.

The other issue is enforcing any rules. Corruption is ripe in all these areas and with a population that is so poor, it is amazing what people will do for money.

I remember reading something similar more than 10 years ago but fish stock populations were more widely blamed on a couple of things such as introduced preditory fish, general overfishing, the export trade and even water conditions in some parts of the lakes.

Unfortunately once a photo of a nice fish is circulated and generates interest, the process of obtaining WC begins. Lake locals don't put the price on it, but just a value that will give them a better lifestyle.

Archived