camera with $800 dollar budget

Chuckmeister

Hi guys, picked up my old canon and it decided that it didn't want to play anymore.

I've been doing alot of research today on getting a new camera but its all a little confusing because most reviews never seem to be happy with any of them. Anyway I have a budget of up to 800 dollars and I'm curious of peoples opinions on what to get.

I dont want to go down a manual dslr..more an all round camera that can take a good macro as well as a reasonable zoom I guess. Something that anyone can use and look like a pro lol.

Chuck

Chuck, no real experience with the camera, but I recently looked at a Panasonic TZ60 which impressed me a lot.
Actually the reason I picked it up was because Dave (YeW) had posted some results from his experiments with it.

(Unfortunately I already have a couple of dSLR and was actually supposed to be picking out a new water/shock proof number for more crazy expeditions...)

I have been seriously contemplating a panasonic..most seem really good but I'm now looking at a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II. They seem to be getting some good reviews.

I've had an embargo on buying anything Sony or related since the days that they sued little old ladies for copyright infringment but I might have to break it I think.

Chuck both Panasonic and Sony are excellent camera. There a version III of the Sony DSC-RX100 III that was released in Sept. I don't know if the revised spec warrant the increased cost. Ultimately it is a balance between cost an performance.

You might also like to consider the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200. Lower megapixels but a solid camera.

Archived