Baby fish stuck head first in another fish! help!

TimB

Hey guys,

I discovered yesterday that the big electric yellow in my display tank had had a crack at one of the smaller baby acei ngara in the tank that had survived after being spat. There were never any issues with the fry and they would confidently venture out to eat with the fully grown mbuna, even though they are only 1.5cm big. This one was obviously unlucky enough to be engulfed by the yellow and it became lodged in the bigger fishes' mouth, with the tail sticking out.

I doubt the fry is alive any more and the yellow is clearly not comfortable. I left the fish like that over night in hope the baby would be dislodged but it's still stuck in there.

How should I go about removing it?

Any tips would be great, as the fish will probably choke if not helped within the next few days.

Cheers, Tim

You really only have two options. Leave it in there or catch the dish and pull it out. Be careful when pulling it out. You don't want to damage the mouth of the yellow with the spines of the fry.

All good guys we managed to slip the baby out easily with minimal stress to the yellow.

Thanks for the help at short notice!

Tim

Archived