tankmates for Mangrove Jack

staffyone

I think long term solutions would be very limited. Maybe a pretty log? laugh.gif

Short term you could try almost anything, I have seen bass work short term, tandanus cats (thought they are pretty fragile IMO), archers look good and both will appreciate some salinity, other grunters etc.

However longer term I think you will find keeping your Jack much like keeping a large aggressive umbriferum on crack.

One of my mates (Zanex) has a MJ and the only thing that's lasted with it was a couple of bristlenoses... that is until it outsmarted them tongue.gif

He had a large tandanus in there at one stage until it got bashed really badly...

Some of the big feeder yabbies survived for about a month under a log.

So yeah, as ducksta said, they get on alright with things like logs and rocks LOL

Mick

• 1 month later...

I took the plunge the other day and bought an MJ the other day.

He's happily living with 2 crazy fish Butis butis and an archer fish.

The secret to my success is that the archer and crazyfish are around 10-15cms long.... The Jack is about 5cm tongue.gif

The scariest thing about the jack is that it eats gambusia the same length as himself. unsure.gif

I'll get some photos up soon..

Mick

We had an MJ about 12-15cm with a pair of Snakehead Gudgeons 20cm, 3 primative Archers 10cm, 4 normal Archers 10cm and a Saratoga 60cm in an 8x2x2 at the shop I was working in Bris never a problem

The Jack was always first to the goldfish

L2H

I have only had 15cm plus MJ come through my shop, if it was placed in a large tank with larger fish i didnt get too much grief fom them (Most Times blush.gif ), but if other fish were added to the MJ tank they were just looked at as food even if they were twice its size...

Archived